Fish Hatchery Pics

• Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Made a couple stops at the fish hatchery this past week to see how the “EARLY” spring was afffecting the walleye run. No big changes according to the DNR guys working the hatchery…in fact for the most part about the same as an average year. They are a few days ahead of normal, but in no way is it unbelievably early. They just kinda’ shook their heads when i mentioned the early opener proposal…Their biggest 2 days as far as # of fish and eggs collected were Thursday and Friday, and on Saturday they met their quota for the season. It’s quite a process they have going, and talk about getting the blood pumping….staring at all those big girls in the nets and all those fiesty males right nextt to them just waiting to do their thing…. we were joking with the DNR guys that it must be nice to have sex every morning…. :devil Those guys were very knowledgeable about the area fisheries and the lakes and eager to share info and fish stocking data. One day they had 1000 males in the nets!! They also said the walleye numbers in Otter Tail are mind boggling…told me I should feel very confident as a resort owner about the opportunities my guests will have to have some spectacular fishing.

After seeing all those fish, man i can’t wait for my first opportunity to have one thump my jig this spring!! If you ever have the opportunity to visit a hatchery, do it, very interesting.

I’ve attached a few pics that I took. First pic is males and the 4th pic are a few of the females waiting their turn.

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

That would be cool to see! Interesting! Thanks for the pictures!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great to hear the fisheries are in such great shape.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I’ve visited a few trout hatcheries but never the ‘walleye-factory’ sounds like things are more ‘normal’ that we all first thought…I’d take that as a good thing

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Great report and pics. I ran a hatchery for 12 years and I know all the hard work it is .

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

First pic is males and the 4th pic are a few of the females waiting their turn.

And the middle two pics???

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Ottertail you say….HHHMMM…Interesting… …RR

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Quote:

Quote:

First pic is males and the 4th pic are a few of the females waiting their turn.

And the middle two pics???

the middle 2 pics are what takes place after the foreplay, like what if going on in your avatar…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

the middle 2 pics are what takes place after the foreplay, like what if going on in your avatar…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.