Guess your Best!

• walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Ice out date predictions accepted here. We will use Big Detroit as our ice out lake. Both Big and Little have to be totaly ice free. I drive by both 2x a day…..you can trust my judgement. This is pride only payout….winner take all!! My guess is April 22…..

rocketman

When I moved up here from southern Mineesota two years ago I made one observation. What goes down in the south part of the state goes here about two weeks later. Ice is out in the south a few days ago. I am shooting for open water by the 15th for sure!!!!! You can take that to the bank!!!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I will take the 17th of April. Are any of the smaller lakes close to ice out? Is there any open water on Rock or Rice? There is some awesome crappie action when the ice gets out.

walleyeaddict

Rock and Rice are still iced. Some small ponds are open. 60 yesterday and today. Lots a wind. Looks good for the early ice out dates. I know we always get a cold snap and a winter surprise that slows things down. In the last 20yrs or so the 2nd week of April is the earliest I’ve seen and May 5th was the latest> I like my chances with the 22nd. Still 3ft out there and ice away from shore is minimal…..We’ll see!

rocketman

The lakes are getting d a r k e r …..
    care to up the annie??????
    I could use a free cup of coffee or a new lure….cmon.. put your takle your thoughts are.
    9 days and counting ( probably wishful thinking, but I am going to keep my hopes up.
    Man, was Rainy a good time.Another one of those “can’t believe I have missed out on this for my whole life”.
    Things are getting better everyday.
    “I love the water”

walleyeaddict

Rainy bite is struggling now. It is a blast when you hit it right. I can’t believe how busy it has become. I liked it more when it was still a great secret.

The 15th or 17th are looking good. Still warm and some all night thaws and heavy winds the last couple of days…..but, mom nature can always throw a curve!. I am to broke, cheap, and tight to put a wager other than pride on the line…..I’ll treat you to coffe at Quality from the “baitman” if your correct!

rocketman

There must be some others out there that want to take a guess.C’mon guys and gals… take a shot. Heck, I hear that the coffee at the bait shop is made from ground up worms. he he.
    Pour me one up.
    Lets talk ICE OUT!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You guys give me a yell when the ice is out and the crappie bite is on please. Trying to decide if I want to make the trip up there before the Walleye opener. Gotta see if the mice invaded the camper over winter.

My guess is April 16th.

rocketman

My best has been said!!!!!!
    I am calling it ICE OUT!!
    Big D is ICE FREE!
    I’ll take a double mocca, thank you!!
    might as well forget the lure, I don’t use any anyway.With my telepathic capabilities I just will the fish into my boat. hahahaha

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

You sure there isn’t a sliver of ice out there that might melt away in about two days?

My telepathic powers told me the 17th and they are always right.

rocketman

I am afraid your powers need a bit of a tuneup. Not a sliver to be had, at least not on the Big D. I am just waiting now for the official word from the DNR as for the date that will be posted.
    If I did not have to put struts on the wifes Buick, I am sure I would have been out somewhere!!! Next week for sure!

walleyeaddict

Rocketman you must be psychic.As of about 7:30 last night there was still a quarter of the lake covered and pushed to the east shore. The wind came up and stacked it and chewed it up. They had great footage of it on the 10 pm news. At 6 last night I would have thought it woud be Fri night or sometime Sat. Black coffee, no sugar or cream…..waiting for you at the baitshop. Crappies here we come!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I forgot to enter the wind into my ice out prediction, It is so hard to keep all of the variables straight.

Any word on some of the smaller lakes in the area, like Rice or rock. Hoping to hit the crappies in a couple weeks up there.

walleyeaddict

Rock and Rice were ice free on the 14th. You will be hitting the shallow water crappie bite perfect in 2 weeks. Only lakes still with ice in our area are Otter Tail, Rush, Cormorant, Rose, Long(Vergas), and Big Pine. It won’t be long for them as we have had several days of wind, 50+ degree temps, and rain with rain and wind in the forcast for the next couple of days. Some shoreline fisherman are already spanking some crappies on some of the early ice out small lakes in the area. I love this time of year!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.