Need some Crane Lake info.

• Anonymous

I am normally on FTR as I pretty much just fish the Miss. I am however going to be camping on Crane Lake for the first two weeks of August with a group from my church. Am looking forward to some Lake Trout Action. I would appreciate any tips on tackle, location, trout paterns, where to find additional info such as maps, and perhaps where to stop on the way up, near Ely to get the latest scoop and lures. I’ve never been to this area and am really looking forward to it.

Anonymous

Hi Wooleybugger !
    Been there done that. The lake you are looking for is” Lake David”. This lake is just N.E.of Sand Lake. It is a deep lake and it holds Lakers. Might be a little tuff getting to, because if the water is down you might have to wade your boat thru about 100 yards of shallow,rockey portage. I made it thru with my 17′ deep Smoker Craft in this manner, It was well worth the effort because it is a beautiful remote lake ! If you go to Lake David you must buy a Canadian license, Because it is on their side of the world ! Anyhow, a Canadian liscense is a must if you want to explore. The boader is right down the middle of the entire river system, no need to take a chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time ! When you go thru King Williams narrows to go to Lake David, Stop at the Canadian Customs Office in the pinch on Sand Lake, pick-up a map and get your license . Another place you might want to try if you want to get into Great Smallie action is Red Horse, it is not far away from Lake David, Go north Hang a right, You will be suprised at how hard these buggers fight !
    Have a great time, leave a few for seed !! Take pictures !!!

Richard (Smitty)

Keep a tight line !!!

Anonymous

Thanks for the great info. I will buy a Canadian Licence and try those spots. I never take fish home from a trip, just enjoy a couple meal there. I’ll leave lots for seed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.