URL report 4-2

• barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

By the grace of god things fell into place Friday morning, a little too fast for me as I hadnt gone to bed till 430 AM. Got up there Friday at 6PM got some fishing reports from just about everywhere and one thing was certain is that those crappies were out there and that late ice bite was ready to blow and it did! We got ou ther around 1PM and set up about 7 1/2 miles out and within a few minutes just one crappie was on the ice. Another of our party walked about 300 yards north and found a good spot and he was pulling up fish, nothing extraordianry but they were biting. Around 2PM I followed him out there and when I got there all he!! broke loose, it got to the point where I wasnt even using my rod anymore just dropped the line till you see em coming and BANG! nothing to it, had about 5 different spurts like that most of which we caught 20-25 fish before theyd quit again, that lasted till 6 PM when we had limits for 10 guys, but wait, 3 more friends showed up! One of them sat in one hole for half of an hour and one right after another until with a little help from a few others they had there 3 limits. There was no rhyme or reason to anything, no certain color, minnow heads, full minnows, didnt matter they were hungry fat slabs! Take a look in the general forum, the story gets much better.

Fish Picture

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

BareBackJack, sent me some pics to add to his post. good trip and good fish, and a whole lot GOOD citizens doing their part in conservation (see his post under GenDisc).
    Jack..

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

BareBack’s group with a good limit. Jack.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

BareBack group and fish.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Sunset on Red.
    BareBackJack also said the over limit group was the group to the right and behind the truck on the right. Mounties were on their way.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Thanks again for posting those pictures for me Jack.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

And here is the official report from the MN DNR’s website.

Officer Tim Gray (Blackduck) attended Firearms Safety classes in Kelliher. Gray checked anglers on Red Lake. He dealt with two houses left on the ice. CO Gray got a call from an angler on Red Lake late Saturday night. The angler had been watching another group of anglers keeping walleye and an over-limit of crappie. When Gray checked the anglers they were putting a walleye down a hole. An over-limit of crappies was found packed inside a suitcase style ice shelter and in several buckets. Six more walleye were found under the back seat in a storage compartment. Total number of fish possessed by three adults and one juvenile angler were 100 crappie, 7 walleye, and 12 perch.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.