Fish Still Going on URL

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

First off I want to give Dannie at Outdoor Authority a shout out as his service was fantastic when conditions were tough with deep snow, no vehicles allowed on the ice and frigid temps. Sunday morning temp.at 7:30 a.m. was -36F. Burrrrr.

Quick report…

Saturday morning we struck off on the wheeler and stuck close to the herd of other portables because I didn’t want to fight the deep snow. The effort resulted in only a few fish so was made the decision to move away from the crowds at about noon. I didn’t want to blaze a new trail so I found a track leading to the direction I wanted to go. About a mile and a half later I broke off the trail and made a new track for about a quarter mile to the spot I wanted to fish. We set up in about 9-10 feet of water and were greeted quickly with fish. Tyler and I fished this spot until dark pulling about 20 fish or so. The majority were in the 16-18 inch range with a few in that 20-21 inch range. Both bobber and jig fishing were taking fish about equally.

Sunday morning was cold and we had a late start as the wheeler didn’t want to start. Dannie was nice enough to tow us to shore where I jumped the wheeler from my truck. It took a while to get it going, but it did finally start. We returned to the spot we were at the previous afternoon, but it was mid/late morning. We set up and again found fish. It was a little slower action wise, but we were getting fish. The highlight was the northern that took Tyler’s bobber rod. It smashed his minnow as we heard the bobber make a “pop” sound when it went under the water. He took a few nice runs and eventually found the hole.

We had a good trip. The snow is deep and travel is tough but doable with a 4-wheeler. We didn’t encounter any slush. You just need to be patient when traveling and have a shovel handy incase it’s needed.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You and Tyler sure have some great times together.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

You and Tyler sure have some great times together.

x2 – Looks like a fun trip.

-J.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Was up this weekend also. Al and Dannie at Outdoor Authority pulled us out with the side by side each morning and picked us up when we called them. Sunday it was worth it with my truck hitting -32. We had no problems getting our limits in a couple hours. They would come in groups and hit what ever you had down. I was catching eyes on wax worms and a little jig looking for perch/crappies after we had our limits. We had 4 or 5 doubles each day. It was the best time I had on red for walleyes. Facebook pic

huskerdu

I was also on URL this weekend-Fished FRI-SAT. no problem filling out in 2 hours, released any fish under 17″ – biggest was only 23″, but talk about quality fish!!! they are FAT!!!
    We fished in 8′ on FRI and in 10′ on SAT.
    Stay away from the crowds!
    We fished the south end and but at least a 100 yards between us and the other groups.
    The hot lure for us was a smaller red buckshot rattle ( glow-I would go with pink) , but I believe they call it red.
    Need to rip it at times 6″ to 24″ strokes. Some times they hit it some times they hit the dead stick ???
    I ran a Thorn Bros dead stick buddy ran a float did seem to make a difference.
    I am going back to ULR ASAP
    I would suggest sleds on the south end – we went out of a cabin access near JRs and 4 wheelers were not the ticket off of plowed roads! We only had chains on the rears and it was iffy off trail. P.S. we saw 1 Ton diesel 4 door trucks W/wheel houses out on the the ice?? best ice off trail was 8″ no way would I drive on 8″ of ice!!
    Good luck to all!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Nice job everyone. I was up after Thanksgiving and had a blast and hope to get back up there this weekend.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Can someone call in sick for me?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.