12-5 12-6 Report

• Peter W

We made it up Thursday to find some terrible conditions on Red Lake, it had to have been blowing 20 mph+. We decided against fishing the east side and went north. It ended up being worth it as the wind was a bit calmer and the ice seemed better. We only fish in 7.5 FOW but it turned out to be a great choice. We ended up with a ton of throwbacks after our limit each day. We were there for the action and we got plenty of it. Got a bonus 32″ pike that tangled all 3 of our lines in the house but ended up untagling him and still getting him up the hole. Based on the -30 temps, the wind and overall conditions we were beyond ecstatic about the trip and that it all worked out well. Baits that produced the best were Red Rippin Raps, red glow buckshots, gold macho minnow and the good ol’ reliable red hook and a fathead under a bobber. Missed a lot of fish and got broke off a few times as well. Overall a great trip to Red!

Peter W

I was using the smallest I think #5. They were absolutely crushing it on the fall every time. I could not believe how much better they worked over darters and other similar lures. The vibrating action is unreal. I really started to believe in them when watching you and James get the smallies on them and they were hitting it hard. It surprised me that in -30 weather they were hitting them as hard as they were. My buddy works for Rapala so I was trying to get a good pic of a Rippin Rap hanging out of a walleye’s mouth! Each time I would catch one they inhaled it so it was tough!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Being a newbie to ice fishing, how did you get out to were you fished? Truck? I’m thinking of going up there and bringing a portable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.