Rainy River Report

• Backtroller
    North Dakota

The River over the weekend was quite stingy. We fished out of Wheelers Point Resort on the launch on Friday and Saturday from the Wind Sock out to the Pine Tree and through to the Zipple Bay Area. We boated everything from bullhead to sturgeon to mini walleye. 8-13″ fish were on a very soft bite but a bite none the less. When we were finally able to get out to the Lake we found fish drifting through 17-18′ in several areas between the Green Bouy to Zippel. We finally started contacting some sizable fish and ended with several 17-19″ and a very nice 25″ walleye. The key was white jig heads tipped with shiners. This combo was the most consistent though we did get fish on chartruese and orange. As we cruised through several areas we saw very few nets in action until we began drifting at Green Bouy. Good luck and PLEASE put those 24″+ fish back!

Good luck as it only gets better from here!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for the Report Backtroller
    I am heading up the 19th of this month, can’t wait

Backtroller
    North Dakota

My pleasure! The shiners were starting to pick up in the river but I would by no means call the run thick as many of the reports from the area indicate. I read one that said there are “zillions” of shiners in the river. The Shiners were picking up though and I will say that next year we will make the trip in late October or early November. Have a great trip and let us know how you do!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.