Where to go?

• jumpndaboat
    Barneveld, WI

Hello All,
    I was wondering what is a good time to head up the the Rainy River Area? I am trying to plan a yearly fishing trip and would like some recommendations on where to stay and start fishing for those ‘eyes. Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks,
    AH

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I would guess you may get several responses to this question as we have several staffers that fish the rainy quite frequently in the fall. I usually try to make it every fall.

Over the years I have visited the rainy just about every period from early October through mid November. And our best periods as far as consistant fishing is concerned is about mid October. Yes we have had excellent days in November up there but the numbers clearly show that mid to late October was our best overall trips over the years for sticking nice fish as well as the numbers. Most of all our big fish in the fall came trolling cranks near the channel edges.
    We will see what kind of shiner migration we get this fall into the river will play a key role in the bite! Cross your fingers.

Good luck and let us all know how you do. Please post some pictures if you get the opportunity.

jumpndaboat
    Barneveld, WI

That sounds great! Everyone knows that diffent lakes and rivers have there own special characteristics. I have heard great stories about the Rainy River area and am a walleye fisherman all the way. Thanks for the advice and I will get some pics out here asap. Take it easy!
    AH

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

We fish the Rainy every Fall, 3rd week or 4th week in October. Over the years, it just gets better and better as the river heads for ice up but the conditions get brutal. Clementson Resort is where we stay, about 11 miles East of Baudette. Rick and Sandy Anderson have been outstanding hosts at the resort and are always aware of where the bite is, and what the hot bait is. Their resort is http://www.clementsonresort.com . A year ago the weather never got above freezing for the 7 days we were there, lows in the low teens and highs in the mid 20’s. My T8 kicker looked like a grey ice cube hanging off the back and everything takes a hard beating with cold weather but the fishing is generally worth it all! Give me a PM if you want some additional details….I’ll gladly share.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

I also hit the river for a few days each year in the middle of Oct. A group of us have been going up there for about 6-7 years now during that time and we just have a blast up there. Last year was just a bit chilly up there but we still had a great time. A sunflower heater in the boat to keep your hands warm is a great idea up there if it is cold.

I have found that you can troll cranks up there with a lot of luck but my favorite is to anchor above a hole and cast jigs and minnows into that hole. Often times the holes may only be 16-24″ deeper but they often times hold a lot of fish. You will get a lot of action then you may have to wait a few minutes but the action will heat up again. There are also the daily sturgeon that we generally catch up there. On lite line they can be a blast too.

I also have stayed at Clementson Resort. As mentioned before Rick and Sande up there are great people to stay with and your boat can then be left at their dock to prevent having to pull it out each day. They are also very good about sharing info with their guests.

Jeff
    Scenic Tackle

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’ve also been going for years. We spend about half the trip on the river and the other half out by the Gap beyond Wheeler’s Point. We always stay by the Point and the two most hospitible places that I have stayed for comfort and good food, dollar for dollar is either Adrian’s or Borderview. I love these two places and the people are GREAT!!! All are willing to tell you exactly what the activity has been on the system with no BS involved. Minnow purchases are extremely generous also. All around good people. You have to drive a ways to get to the Clemetson area, but the stay is worth it in my book.

I’m heading up there October 9th to the 12th.

Good luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have also been going to Rainy for several years now, and I must agree that mid to late Oct is the best time, we are going to be there Oct 19th to the 24th this year, if you go up there at the same time be sure to look me up, you can PM me for my cell phone #.

Below is a link to all of the Resorts on the Rainy River.

http://www.lakeofthewoodsmn.com/lodges_resorts/lr_river.html

I also like to stay close to the point as I like to fish the River & out to the gap, we have also been known to trailer up and drive up river to find fish.
    I have stayed at Riverview & I have also stayed at BALLARD’S. Both are very nice places to stay, Riverview has the only protected bay on that end of the river, so if you what to keep your boat in the water you do not have to worry about your boat getting banged up on the dock by boat traffic. If you do not want to cook your own meals then Ballards gets the thumbs up from me as there restaurant & bar is the best and they are more consistent with there hours than Riverview. I will be staying at Riverview this year as we cook most of our own meals and I like the protected bay.

Here is a link to a weekly updated fishing report for the Lake of the Woods and the Rainy.

http://www.lakeofthewoodsmn.com/fishing/report.asp

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

JumpNDaBoat,
    Here is a walleye that was caught last year in late Oct on the Rainy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.