LOTW mid Sept. trip to Oak Island area

• gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

First time on forum. I’m heading up to Oak Island on the 12th of Sept. Been there in March but never for open water. Just looking for any info. that could steer me in the right direction. Would live bait rigs still be effective or is it time for pulling cranks in shallower water. Appreciate any and all information you may be able share.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey welcome Moose!
    I really can’t help you with that area this time of year. I have been to the Bonny Brae Resort on Oak Island in June only…….and have fished the narrows 20-25 miles north with GREAT success!!
    Its a great area and I hope someone will add something here for ya to help.

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Bobber,
    Thanks for the reply. I understand other fisherman not wanting to disclose there spots, techniques etc., after putting in the time and effort to aquire the knowledge. I was just mainly looking for general information for early fall fishing in the angle area. FYI, the Bonny Brae has been sold to Sportmans Lodge (the same lodge owner as on the south shore). That is where we’ll be staying also. I’ll fill you in on the fishing when I return.
    Thanks again, Moose

scottsteil
    Central MN

Moose, I can help you out. Spent a few years on the big lake. You will find lots of fish in the deep water on the North side of Garden Island. You can use downriggers to run deep or just troll Deep Divers for the huge suspended fish. There are also tons of reefs in that area, but those fish move off the sides during the day so they can be difficult to locate. Slip bobber the tops or troll the deep edges. If you are looking for big fish that time of year and you don’t like to troll, bring big Red Tails along for fishing the rocks. Good Luck!

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Scott,
    Thanks a ton for the info. Its a good feeling leaving with somewhat of a plan and then taking it from there when you see what your up against. I personaly fish the St. Croix (for walleyes) quite frequently, not claiming to be any kind of expert but if asked I could steer folks in the right direction. Again I appreciate the information and will let you know how we do.
    Moose,

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Moose, I know the area very well. I’ve stayed at Bonnie Brae many times. Go East of Oak, past the next Island direcly east of Oak ( Ican’t remember the name). On the east side of that island, you will find on your map, a small string of islands and humps that lead to another island that is a moon shape (can’t remember that island name either). However, fish those humps. The main hump between the island peaks about 15 feet, but fish it from 20 to 40 feet. Pull spinners with crawlers.

In return of this information, you must promise that you will perform honest “catch and release” practice. This spot is close to Oak (only 2 miles or so) and it produces consistent fish from 23 to 30 inches. It is a great spot and I’ve been working it for 3 years. No need to travel to the Garden.

Again, Please practice catch and release. No need to butcher big fish. You will catch plenty of 18 inch fish for cooking. You will need a border crossing permit to travel into Canada. Go to Cyclone Is. and you can get your daily pass for free via a phone both they have there……..very simple.

There are plenty of Ontario DNR running around, so don’t be packing any alcoholic beverages, as the fine is $50 per first beer and $1 dollar for each additional beer found. You can take crawlers accross the border water, but not minnows and leaches.

Good luck, and I want to see some pictures. If you have more questions on where this is, send me a PM.

Again, because I gave you this spot, you are obligated to catch and release. ENJOY!!! It is my favorite spot and no pressure!!!

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Gary, I’m very much a promoter of catch and release, especially the larger ones. I have a grandson who i’d love to have catch there off springs some day. If a trophy finds his way into my boat its pictures and measurements to a reproduction guy. I give you my word they’ll be going back in! (except a couple eater size). On my map I see a couple possibilitys of which you speak. Would you prefer I e-mail you with a couple of questions? Thanks for the GREAT info! MOOSE

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks Moose. This is one of my favorite spots and the last thing I want is someone to cash in on those big tunas and start knifing them. You will catch all the nice sized eaters you want.

The other thing to be VERY CAREFULL of is that the Ontario daily limit is only 2 walleyes, with one over 18″. Possession is 4 fish. It won’t be a problem getting two fish at that 17.9″……….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.