ice is coming on

• wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

Well its getting pretty cold in the north country . nights hover around 1 to 6 below ice is forming as i write. Have heard that the fishing this weekend was soo good , in 18 feet of water ther is about 5 to 7 inches of ice not drive abl but wealk able if you are careful. will post more on sunday. we are going out then

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We look forward to your report. Be safe!

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Heading up this afternoon for the weekend. Let you know how we do!

Mark

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Best of luck Mark. I look forward to your report and hopefully pics when you get back.

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

They havent got our house out on Zippel yet . The fishing is best uot in front of pine island as of late. the wateris still pretty cloudy on the lake,but they are expecting to clear by ths weekend.greg at outdoors again says shinner are still holding in the river so the lake run isnt in full swing yet. We have been getting plenty of snow.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

any updates on ice thickness and best depth to fish. We are planning a last minute trip and wondering it we need the atv or if we can drive.

fireflick
    Alma WI

I will be up there this weekend. Should have a good idea on the bite. Going out of schuester’s resort.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Spent all of last weekend fishing the Pine Island area. Fishing is great. As usual, the morning and evening bites were the best, but oddly enough, there was a very consistent bite throughout the day. 20.5 fow, had 14.5 inches of ice. Lots of trucks driving out there, up to 3/4 ton. Travel at your own risk, if you ask me. What produced? Hands down, the glo-red angel eye jr. Caught probably 85% of the fish. Not a whole lot of snow on the ice, but there are a few drifts that hindered ATV travel. Oh, by the way, there’s a “new” bait shop just before you get to Adrian’s called Border Bait, used to be Dana’s or something like that. Just fyi. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Mark

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Mark

Thanks for reporting back. How’s the size of the fish running?

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

No super-mongo-pigs this trip, but eaters are definitely the average. I’d say more eaters than “tackle-busters”, but still a lot of small ones, which bodes well for the future. Future trips this winter are in the works!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks Mark. In the spirit of sharing…. pool 4 has been super hot for 18″ – 22″ fish. 35 – 50+ legals a day pitching plastics. Mostly ringies but some paddletails, etc. No super huge fish lately (been slow for the piggies all fall actually) but the action is ALMOST making up for it.

fishinbud
    Foley MN

Thanks for the great report. never fished the lake but planning a trip this winter. What are your tips for a first timer to the lake?

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

hey, i’m going up on the 6th of january, we arer going to randalls resort by warsaw/bodett(spelling) and wondering what the fishings like there! whats key times and key lures!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.