Rainy River Results

• bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Well, we were supposed to fish the WWA on the river this past weekend, but after a miserable day pre-fishing on Thursday and the river situation not looking to improve we opted for the Rainy – and it was a good choice. This was our 6th spring up there and I think we are finally figuring out when we need to go. This trip is so hard to plan because if there is a lot of snow, the runoff can muddy up the river in a hurry. We figured we better get up there or we would be facing mud if we waited until Sunday (our original plan). So we headed off on Friday and started fishing in the afternoon. My dad and brother had already been there a day and had boated 100 fish between them already, with about 15 over 25″. Nick Peterson, cousin Jab, my dad, brother and I proceeded to catch many more fish in the six-pound plus category over the next 2-1/2 days, with the largest weighing 10.9 pounds, and a couple in the upper 9-pound range. We caught a lot of our large fish dragging a catalpa ringworn on a orange/chartreuse jig in 12-16 feet of water. During the middle of the day we vertical jigged some of the deeper holes adjacent to the flats. This produced better numbers, but the size wasn’t as good (only 2-5 pounders ). We fished mainly from Frontier to Vidas. As everyone has said, the river muddied up by Sunday, so we anchored in some of the holes and reefed in some sturgeons on our 10-foot trolling rods . All in all, it was a phenomenal trip! Here’s a piggy and I’ll follow with some more pics of some of the big fish.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Another One

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

And Another

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Big Fish Honors

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Another Hog

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

You can see the ringworm we were using in this one.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

One last one

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice Report and fish Bri-bigeyes

Now I’m pumped!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Those are some awesome fish man!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Hey Bri!
    Great shots! Talk about being in Hog Heaven! I have heard you talk of this bite for quite some time! I may have to tail pipe you on your trip next year!
    Great job! Looks like Ringies fool walleyes all over!
    Tuck

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Tuck,

I owe you a ton as it is, so if you want you can just plan on jumping in with us next spring. The funny thing is, the fishing can be just as good in late October, early November, but there is a fraction of the people up there. I’m guessing on Saturday that there was 100-150 boats in every direction that you looked. It made the dragging bite a little difficult.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Nice pics. Brings back good memories from our group’s trip in 2000.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Sweet trip Bri!
    Man, I miss going up there after seeing those gorgeous fish pics again.
    Thanks for sharing!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Nice fish. We were up from Tues. till thurs. and did about the same. Caught just tons of fish and big ones too. Wish my digital wasn’t broken, all our pics are the old fashioned kind . I’ll be there every year until I die now. Just too much fun.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Bri, those are some awesome fish
    If pics like that don’t get ya pumped something’s just not right. Looks like a trip I need to make someday.

dave

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You don’t owe me Jack! It’s a two way street Bud!
    Thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.