HELP new gps/ fish finder

• rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I need help, going to buy a new fish finder/gps.. It’s all changed since my 102c and 332c. I don’t know anything about DI DSI ? will spend about a grand, help me please. You guys are the users and have the inside knowledge, not the kid at Gander..

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’m still running a 332C…but need to upgrade also. My buddy just bought a Lowrance HDS7 and I really like it. I believe it was about $950.
    You should get a lot of opinions on this one!

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

My first call would be to Wade at Jolly Ann’s!! He got me hooked up and will treat you right!!!!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have always used Hummingbirds and just opted for the
    798ci HD SI Combo
    It offers pretty much all the features of the larger units in a smaller screen size and price.
    The latest greatest price I’ve seen is at Reeds
    For the lakes I fish, I will be getting the Lakemaster v2 chip

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I need help, going to buy a new fish finder/gps.. It’s all changed since my 102c and 332c. I don’t know anything about DI DSI ? will spend about a grand, help me please. You guys are the users and have the inside knowledge, not the kid at Gander..

If you want side imaging/down imaging I’d go with the Humminbird 898C. If you just want straight sonar with the ability to add side imaging/down imaging now or later, I’d go with the Lowrance HDS-7. Both are solid units and both will run Lakemaster and Navionics maps.

trucker
    Prairie DuChien WI.

I bought a HDS-7 last spring and love it.I am thinking about buying a HDS-5 for the front of my boat now.

sandmannd

I run an HD5 and a 522c. If I had the cash, I would go with the HD7 for sure. Great units.

mojogunter

I ran Lowrance for years, and Garmin for a couple of years too, and made the switch to humminbird to a 1197. I couldn’t be happier with it. I now have a 1197 and a lowrance 520 on the bow of my present boat. I had an issue with interference from my trolling motor while looking at SI. I called Humminbird, and they sent out a interference reduction kit that kit included some filters, and a new transducer for free. I also had an issue with a second thru hull transducer that they replaced for free as well. I haven’t had any issues now going on three years with my 1197. I had the GPS puck go bad on my Lowrance 520 last year, and I was able to get Lowrance to sell me a new one for a 50% discount. I was hoping for free, but that was better than full price. I haven’t been with anyone running the new HDS lowrance stuff yet. I know they had issues when they first came out, but now it sounds like they have them figured out. I would say as far as customer service goes in my experience there is no comparison that Humminbird is better, but Lowrance is getting much better. The sad thing is that before Lowrance sold out they had outstanding customer service. All that being said, I think you can’t go wrong with either, but I know to buy as big as you can afford, because with screen size, bigger is better. At least for my old eyes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.