120 Johnson outboard

• Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Looking at a boat with a Johnson 120 motor. Anybody have any experience with this motor? It is a 1994. He says the carbs need cleaned and it runs rough. I think I should take the compression tester along to make sure it doesn’t have a scored piston. Any other thoughts. Thanks for any input.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Personally, I would not buy anything that is running ” ROUGH” or “just needs a carb job” with out a major drop in cost.

If it has potential to run good then why doesnt the fella want to spend some money to get a bit more out of it?

I would be leary, offer a LOW price and tell him why, “you dont know what the problem EXACTLY is.” Afterall like you said, it could be a scored cyl wall.

-Mark

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Let the buyer “BEWARE”

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Yea it’s no beauty queen but it is priced at 2500.00 with a 1775 pro v and bunk trailer. If its not a complete pos it seems worth the risk.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I have an 89 110 Evinrude, which if I am not mistaken is a the same as the 120 with a smaller bore. We have used that motor to pull skiers and tubers for countless hours. The trim motor went out under warranty, but other than that it has never been in the shop. Mine has the oil injection (VRO) technology which has been a problem for many, but not me. It pops off on the first turn every year. The very down side is that it is one gas thirsty SOB. I am kind of waiting for it to poop out so I have a good excuse to update but the damn thing keeps running too good.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Mine has the oil injection (VRO) technology which has been a problem for many, but not me.

You are one of the lucky ones then. If this motor is a VRO I would highly recommend that you walk away and keep on shopping.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

I had a 1995 Evinrude 130 no problems and the VRO was working just like it was meant to. I upgraded last year. The VRO got blamed for a lot of things that it should not of.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The VRO got blamed for a lot of things that it should not of.

That is true, but a lot of them did crap out. I believe the new VRO replacements are of a different, better design now, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.