I thought teachers were smart.

• mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Two Manawa High School teachers have been suspended without pay after a live round of ammunition was discharged at the school Wednesday.

District officials say a teacher brought the barrel of an antique .22-caliber rifle to school with something lodged in it.

Officials say the teacher sought the help of the shop teacher, who decided he’d use a torch to dislodge whatever was inside.

“The shop teacher attempted to apply heat to dislodge the obstruction in the barrel, and the heat caused it to, for the round to explode,” District Administrator Duane Braun said.

It was a live round stuck inside, and the heat caused it to explode, hitting a metal door in the classroom.

A student and custodian were also in the room at the time. No one was hurt.

“I know that they were behind the front of the barrel, but again I’m not trying to make light that it wasn’t a dangerous situation,” Braun said.

The incident forced the district to suspend both teachers for using what the district administrator says was poor judgment.

The district says neither teacher knew it was a live round stuck in the barrel.

Police were called, but because it was only the barrel of a gun that was brought to school it isn’t classified as a weapon and no charges were filed.

“There truly was not an intent to do harm,” Braun said. “It was something that happened, and they had no idea of what was going to happen — or it would have never happened.”

The district administrator says if any further punishment is warranted, it won’t be decided until after the school district’s investigation is complete.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Firing guns was the norm for teachers and students at my high school. But we did it in our indoor firing range. Guns are not the dangerous ones.

FDR

proffy1

i recall shooting .22 in physics class in college. idea was to measure velocity based on movement of a block of wood that the bullet lodged into. probably the most intersting hands on learning i had in college.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Firing guns was the norm for teachers and students at my high school. But we did it in our indoor firing range. Guns are not the dangerous ones.

FDR

We brought guns to homeroom to demo proper cleaning procedures and cleaned deer in class.

Times have changed…

big_g
    Isle, MN

We were talking about that a couple months ago… my nephew could not believe we actually “made” our own knives in shop class I made a deer knife, the Skinner Supreme He said, they can’t even have a pocket knife at school…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I had my Dad’s 870 in school when I was in 6th grade for a play.

In 8th or 9th, I had my 22 rifle and shot off a blank in the room (which made the ceiling tile glow for a short time)

I guess guns have become much more dangerous since the early ’70’s.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

In 6th grade I brought my bow an arrow into school for a “How To Speach” or something like that. The whole class then went outside to watch me shoot it. A fun assignment but I’m sure that wouldn’t fly these days.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

FDR

Yes they have. For the better and worse. But I know of at least one school that still allows students to bring guns to school.

We brought guns to homeroom to demo proper cleaning procedures and cleaned deer in class.

Times have changed…

Yes they have James. For the better and worse. But I know of at least one school in the cities that still allows students to bring guns to school.

FDR

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

I took an .303 British to school to disassemble and refinish the stock and fore end. Never asked the principal or anybody, just cased it up and walked into class. I needed an extra long screrw driver to remove the stock, longer than anything my dad had. One the wood was refinished the weapon looked great, very pretty wood.

My daughters also took guns for hunter safety class which was held at the high school, many times on nights there were also sports events going on.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

But I know of at least one school in the cities that still allows students to bring guns to school.

St. Thomas Academy?

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

In 1976(I’m dating myself) during shop class, the day before Thanksgiving, Shot a nice 6 pointer out the back door of the shop. Yes how times have changed.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

When i was in Jr high I brought my cased up shotgun and a couple of boxes of shells to school and kept them in my locker. After school I brought them on the bus to ride to my friend Dan’s house to go duck hunting.

dd

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I had my Dad’s 870 in school when I was in 6th grade for a play.

In 8th or 9th, I had my 22 rifle and shot off a blank in the room (which made the ceiling tile glow for a short time)

I guess guns have become much more dangerous since the early ’70’s.

Brian are you sure you are not confusing those with flint locks?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

But I know of at least one school in the cities that still allows students to bring guns to school.

St. Thomas Academy?

I am going to guess that Cretin still has a rifle team too.

FDR

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.