Motorcycle or Scooter?

• Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Some may recall a previous post about me getting a scooter for the summer commute, being that MN looks at those the same as a motorcycle now I’m thinking real bike. I’m looking at a friend’s 650 cruiser, he wants a camper and does not use it, less than 500 miles on a 2007. I’ve just noticed quite a mixed bag of opinions, from my mom saying “oh my God, what about your kids, you’re a father now!” to “cool, take me for a ride?”. I’d use it for my 40 mile mostly two lane daily country commute, maybe a weekend ride with the FW for lunch at the Bluff’s. I used to ride when I was younger, that was a crotch rocket and I’m sober now so I’ve got that going for me. Thoughts? Am I being irresponsible?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

It’s good that you have experience on a bike and also that you will not drink and drive one. No matter what when you ride be it a scooter or a full bike you have to be very defensive. Way too many people do not see bikes coming and will pull out in front of you.

Weekends tend to be the worst time to have an accident, but I would guess a good percentage of those involve alcohol. I’m lucky and only have 4 miles one way to work so I ride my Bicycle once it gets a little warmer. Even on a Bicycle and riding 90% of the way on the bike path, I have come close to getting hit. I now wear a Hi-Vis Shirt to help people see me.

Be safe and drive defensive at all times, that’s all you can do.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Unlike automobiles any mistake/accident on a bike holds a substantial risk for injury. I remember periodically wrecking my bicycles as a kid. That same record transferred to motorcycles would be bad.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I’ve owned and ridden motorcycles since I was 16.

Here is what I will tell you. People do not watch for you. They do not see you. They don’t care about you.

That said, they are a great mode of transportation if you pay attention to what you are doing. If you are preoccupied with home life, kids, job (or lack of) then do your self a favor and drive something with 4 wheels.

Myself, I won’t get on anything smaller then a Goldwing these days. I like the bulk and the power a touring bike provides.

I’ve seen people wearing those fluorescent vests like the road workers wear. They look corny, but they also are effective.

gary d
    cordova,il

Save your money and buy a small converible car. You can still get the wind in your hair and get better mpg for work.Besides you can drive it in the rain or winter also. Just be happy!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

All I can say is that a fender bender in a car is just that a fender bender. The same accident on a bike may be way worse – that said like other have said if you pay attention while driving – go for it. I’d like to get one – but like you, the family says are you crazy!!! Those things are dangerous!!!

pjbman
    Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

I hope you aren’t much taller than 5’6.” A 650 cruiser is a small bike. You would get close to 50MPG’s out a bike that size which is huge with the gas prices shooting through the roof. Although, I’d have to wonder if a small car wouldn’t be better in MN given the very short riding season (if all you want it for is the commute), I even feel like the riding season is way to short in IA.

If you go with the bike don’t forget your telescoping fishing pole!

igotone

neither

go with 4 wheels

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Either I get 12 months use out of a little car, or I get 12 months use out of the year for my ice fishing rods and reels like I used to! I’ve gotten pretty good at casting those things!

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I bought a motorcycle that last time gas shot up in price. I learned that getting a motorcycle to save some gas money isn’t what you might think. Between the added cost of the bike purchase, higher maintanance costs (tires are spendy and don’t last like car tires), and added insurance, there is just no way to re-coop the savings in gas. The other thing learned is that no matter how careful you are on a bike, things happen. I was very careful and limited my riding to daytime since my major fears were 1)getting hit by a drunk or inattentive drive and 2) hitting a deer. Well; I did manage to avoid both, but regardless there were two events in short sucession that made me sell the bike. The first was a step ladder falling off a truck topper right in front of me on the highway. I had to run it over and it was not pleasant. It scared me half to death. The second event happened just 3 days later. The ONLY time the whole summer that I drove my truck instead of my motorcycle to work I hit a deer at 9AM…. That was it. I hadn’t saved the money I was hoping I had and managed to put my life on the line a few times. With a wife and a son at home waiting for me, that just wasn’t worth it.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

If you decide to get a scooter, please trade in your man card. You cannot have both

I would get the motorcycle. They are a blast to ride, and you only live once. This is coming from a guy who was scrapped off the side of the road one night and also as an EMT. We call them donorcycles

Please wear a helmet and drive defensively.

He who quits living life because he might die, is already dead

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

If you decide to get a scooter, please trade in your man card. You cannot have both

I’d like to see you on a scooter, Brent

If I could find myself an old-school moped (pedal start) at a reasonable price, I’d be in. Of course, I’ve only got 6 miles to work and bike it quite a bit in the summer.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I’d like to see you on a scooter, Brent

Fat Guy on a little bike

KenDelano
    Albert Lea, MN

I put more miles each year on my Harley than I do on my 4 wheel vehicle.

Do you want to ride? For some the idea of riding is appealing, but once they actually start riding they find it isn’t what they thought it was. Riding is a physical activity. You have to ride ahead of your self and be very alert all of the time. As already pointed out to you the large majority of drivers do not look for and hence do need see motorcycles. Every time you see cross traffic you have to automatically assume that it will just pop out in front of you.
    Riding can also be very therapeutic. There is a saying that you don’t see many motorcycles parked in front of a shrinks office!
    You won’t save on fuel costs in the long run once you add up the cost of ownership. But if you are willing to ride in most weather you will lower the amount spent at the pump.

jon johansen
    menomonie wi

Quote:

I would get the motorcycle. They are a blast to ride, and you only live once.

RIDE ON AND LIVE FREE I have riden since I was 8 years old. This being said watch out for anything with more wheels than you!

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Irresponsible, I don’t think so. The first thing I did when I found out my wife was pregnant with our first child was sell my old motorcycle, went to Motoprimo, and bought the new bike I had been dreaming of for a long time. I’m 32 now, still married and have two kids and I still like to go out and tear up the back road twisties every once and a while, but I admit, fishing takes up most of my time these days and the bike sits in the garage alot. As long as you ride within your skill limits and wear a helmet, jacket and gloves, you’re being responsible. Just remember, always be alert and defensive and stay off those country roads at night and early morning, thats when they’re the most dangerous.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

40 years ago I drove a Honda 350. Almost got killed several times. Finally a friend dumped it and totaled it. If you are traveling at 55mph, and you leave the bike at 55 mph you are a 55mph pedestrian.

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

Looks like you ave gotten alot of good information if you decide to return to driving a motorcycle. I had not riden one for almost 20 years. Last year I bought a 96 Virago 1200 and do not regret it at all. In fact I will be getting it ready to ride this friday. and at 40mpg I can afford to do more of the things I like, as in fishing or buying fishing supplies.If you enjoyed riding before I would suspect you will again. Whatever your decision is good luck to you.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I ride a 2006 Kawasaki Concours,it’s a sport-touring bike,the last year they made the 1000cc version. I put 11500 miles on it last year going to work and on a trip to Yellowstone. Gets about 42 mpg, carries a ton of gear, and goes a long way on that big 7.5 gallon tank ! Great way to see the country !

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.