Boiler-heating expert advice needed

• jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Last night I lost a mercury pressuretroll switch on my schools boiler. When bottom pressure is reached(calling for more steam) the merc. bubble would tip but hang up level, not enough for contact. A slight jiggle is all it takes to fire it up but it’s close to every cycle that it has to be done

Heading to Madison for a new switch but is there any way to adjust these? I’ll be gone for 5 hrs.

Any Jerryriggers out there?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I can ‘jerryrig’ a lot of stuff but never heard of one of those. If I lived closer though I’d join you for the ‘road trip’. Just think what we could discuss and solve in 5 hours.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im no expert on boiler controls but think this is what I would do. Put someone in charge of keeping a eye on it while you get a new one. Its the wrong type of weather to be trying a temp fix. Sure would hate to loose all your heat.

arklite881south

I’m just becoming an expert at hucking large quantities of logs into our boiler.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Im no expert on boiler controls but think this is what I would do. Put someone in charge of keeping a eye on it while you get a new one. Its the wrong type of weather to be trying a temp fix. Sure would hate to loose all your heat.

Thanks Mike, my son Cam will no doubt be tired of jiggling switches by the time I get back

We actually only had a half day of school scheduled but the day was canceled entirely because of the wind chills…..takes a little pressure off. Might have time to slip into Dorns before leaving Mad city

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Ya, if it’s the pressure switch for the steam boiler it runs in a pretty small range and I’d be hesitant to “jury rig” anything that involves the safe operation of a steam boiler in a school.

This device probably controls the operating range of the boiler, pressures usually run for Commerial 2 to 3.5 psi. and residental .5 to 1#…IF memory serves me right.

Not much leeway eithway.

Al

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

preloaded at 3.5-8. You are right, not much leeway. Even with the schools thermostats set on low rage night setting the system is firing up every 12-14 minutes. We need a bigger fuel fund for days like these

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.