New Furnace

• smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Had to have the furnace repaired yesterday. Fixed but after they checked it over, said that it was getting to the end of its life. 15 yrs. old. Heat exchanger starting to show some wear. No cracks yet but the service guy said it will probably go in the next year or two. The furnace now is an 80% efficient one. Had a sales guy come today and priced a new 95% system. Since it is their slow time, they can give a good deal if I do it now. Since I just put $250 into my furnace would like to get it through the heating season. Anyone replace a furnace lately? Brand? This company sells Rheems. Thanks for the advise.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Since when is winter the slow season for heating guys?

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

We sell Ruuds and Carriers, I have a Ruud, same as Rheem) in my house and like it alot.

Wasn’t there, but showing signs of wear after 15 years is kinda normal, not so sure I’d panic, some of them signs of wear go many years before they cause problems..imho

But like I said, I wasn’t there.

Al

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

They have 2-3 crews that do nothing but installs.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Even so, I still wouldn’t let their “slow time” force you into buying a furnace, seems one of the standard sales spiels is “it’s our slow time”.. in this case..maybe, maybe not.

Not a bad furnace though

Al

gregory
    Red wing,mn

i wouldn’t worry about putting in a new one right now, they just fixed it and said it shows some wear that normal. I just had my repaired twice this winter and in it for about $700now, it stinks but if you replace it now, a guy is out all that money you just put in.so i would just make sure you have good carbon monoxide detector in the house, my furnace is a 1997 model so similar age, i would be weiry about slow time and good price now crap…

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Check out the brand Goodman. It is made by the same company as Amana. You will find the price is cheaper then most others.
    Warranty= 10yrs parts, lifetime on heat exchanger, pay an extra $50.00 and get 10yrs free labor for service calls. I am on my second Goodman. Decided to take advantage of energy tax credit installed my second in Sept.. 95% furnace with variable speed fan $1200.00 plus labor.

neverhome
    Anoka county

I just replaced my 1980 furnace, not because it was bad but because we were doing a remodel and it just worked that way. I have lived in this house for seven years and we never had a problem with the unit. I would be a little suspicous about them telling you to replace.

fieds
    ottertail county

I had to replace mine over the holidays, having the tax credit eased the pain of a new payne 95% efficient furnace. love it.
    I had to do the water heater also as i replaced an old glow-core boiler system which was made in the eighties i believe. i’m going to miss the gas bill, 75 bucks a month for heat and hot water but the peace of mind will make up for it. i guess those glow-cores were a real piece of work, i know i had my share of bull#@$$ with it and i only owned it for 3 years.
    With your repairs i would think that you’ll get alot more life out of yours, i know i would have tried repairing again if i could’ve gotten reliable parts and a service guy that would touch it.
    Good luck with yours, a new furnace is nice though. i do wish i could’ve had that 2,700 bucks for the tackle box.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I have two detectors in the house. The service guy did cover his butt and say it might last another year or two. I think there are also “Slow Times” in the spring and fall. The last time we replaced everything it was after the heating season and before the AC season so they were looking for work then too. Since I just spend $$ on repairs, I am going to wait. Just wondering what other think of the Rheem or other brands.

blackbay

Sounds like he was just giving you a sales pitch. But like Allen said I wasn’t there. You say the tech didn’t find any cracks or other issues that we’re repairable. As long as it’s burning well and not sending CO into the house I’d wait.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Goodman

joejingle
    Iowa, sometimes Arkansas

Hello, I am a Rheem dealer in Iowa. I see there are many post here with good advise. I have toured the rheem factory in Arkansas. Goodman is the cheapest furnace I can purchase on the market and the functional parts reflect this price. Like anything else you usually get what you pay for. I service and repair all brands so i sell the one we’ve seen the least repair problems with. Rheem also came out top buy –#1– with fewest repairs 2 years ago in consumer magazine. I am not trying to sell a furnace but only share a little experience. If you have any questions you can call me at 712-830-1638. Also, unless you have money to throw away, I would consider waiting for your next breakdown. Thanks Roger

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

My wife had a guy quote a new furnace with the whole house humidity.

Walk out rambler I think about 2300 sq. ft.

She was quoted $4,700.00 installed? I admit I haven’t gotten any other bids as I won’t replace ours during the winter anyway.

Does that seem high to you heating guys? (I understand you need to look at the job to make a real accurate quote.)

joejingle
    Iowa, sometimes Arkansas

Our average Bid is for 2500. to 3000. for a 95% furnace totally installed. add 500. for humidifier

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.