Leaking Gulp Alive jars

• herb
    6ft under

Any of you have a problem with them?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Any of you have a problem with them?

They are junk. Peanut Butter Jars are your best friend.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Any? How about most.

I put my jars in a baggie. Lot of good that did. I have to keep the tackle bag outside because the cat has taken great interest in it. The GF on the other hand…

iceman35
    upstate New York

I sold everything i got with the name “gulp” in it. no shelf life. stuff is going for pennys all over the net.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

They say plumbers tape.

millelacsman

I myself love gulp use it all the time where can a guy get it on the net for pennys?

travp
    Blaine , Mn

I bought a leakprrof plano container at fleetfarm for all my gulp. I dumped all the jars in and no more problems. I paid 5.99 if I remember.

herb
    6ft under

I found something yesterday that works great for no leaks.
    Was in the grocery story and came across some AVENT breast milk storage containers. 4oz jars with a rubber seal in the lid. Last night I transferred 2 jars of gulp into 2 of the milk jars, one laying on it’s side and the other set upside down. Today a couple of times I opened and closed each one and set back to their original positions and still no leaks after 24 hours and no visible damage to the seal from the gulp liquid. I can get about a 1/2 jar of the 4″ gulp minnows in them also so size doesn’t seem to be a problem.
    Just to let you know.

igotone

Quote:

I bought a leakprrof plano container at fleetfarm for all my gulp. I dumped all the jars in and no more problems. I paid 5.99 if I remember.

same here got mine at Scheels same price
    heard all the bad reviews on the jars and this was best way 2go

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I found something yesterday that works great for no leaks. Was in the grocery story and came across some AVENT breast milk storage containers. 4oz jars with a rubber seal in the lid.

Only a boob like you would put bait in a breast milk storage container.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

That’s the breast idea I’ve heard all day!

ET

PS let’s bring back the breast pump post!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

While it is extremely funny Blue, I sure thought that a comment like that to Herb would come from BK
    He must be busy

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

While it is extremely funny Blue, I sure thought that a comment like that to Herb would come from BK
    He must be busy

He’s getting a hair cut. Although he’s not sure what hair to get cut. Apparently he has too many. I told him to start with ones on his back.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

FWIW – not sure I ever had a jar that didn’t leak. The new plano system mentioned above appears to be a vast improvement. Time will tell…. (Hmmmm, Leaking Gulp Alive Breast Jars, think it’d sell? Nah…)

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

Only way ive found to make them semi-leaky was to just cut an “X” in the middle of the white seal so when you put the cap back it,its same as when you bought it,unless of course the lid or jar cracks,or if your like me,just spill it all over soon as i open it

jerry b
    western WI

AFTER I finally got fed up with the jars leaking and gave it all away, a guy told me that if I’d not rip off the paper and cut it like a pie, it wouldn’t leak like it did. I’m guessing the paper acts like a gasket. I’m not buying more just to find out, that juice is pretty terrible stuff jerr

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

quote “that juice is pretty terrible stuff “

Ya, but the fish seem to like it ~ sometimes a lot!

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I love the stuff I have. The jars leak yes but the gulp system that berkley makes works well, the plano ones work too. Also I have sealed the hole in the strikemaster bait pucks and havn’t had a problem with those leaking either. I only put enough of the juice in it to cover the bottoms.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Can I have your Gulp?

Paypal – .01

On the way.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

After reading this information shared by Joel Ballweg, I have not had near the problem with the leaking jars. Thanks Joel

Quote:

Here is how you keep these jars from leaking all over the place. Open the lid, cut an “X” in the center of the gasket. Do not remove the gasket! Reach down threw the middle of the “X” and pull out a bait. Again, leave the gasket under the lid attached to the top of the container.

It also helps a great deal if you store the jar upright!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Your welcome.

Just so you know, I learned the hard way on this one myself.
    And for those jars that I ruined by removing the gasket….

Quote:

Peanut Butter Jars are your best friend

It helps to cut a new gasket and press fit it into the lid of the peanut butter jar.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

They say plumbers tape.

I don’t know why no one ever listens to this. 79 cents and you’re done. No extra jars or bags laying around, no $10 specialty leakproof tackle box, and best of all, NO LEAKING.

Maybe the simplest, cheapest solution is just too cheap and simple for some people.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

The problem is . . . we shouldn’t have to do all of these tips, tricks or put their product in another container. The leaking has been occurring since their jars came out – for a few years now – more than enough time to fix. It’s all about the bottom line . . . so write Pure Fishing an email and let them hear from their customers.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why can’t they just make the crap not leak! Everyone complains about it.

showags
    Hastings, MN

I tried the “X” cut method but became frustrated trying to fish out the Gulp Minnow heads with the extra material.
    I thought about plumbers tape, but that would be more for if I was expecting the threads to do the actual sealing when the design calls for a gasket type seal.
    My solution? 3M Super 33+ (electrical tape). Thicker than plumbers tape, but won’t screw up the threads. Just one time around the threads stretched tight. The key is to leave about 1/8″ above the top of the jar. As you pull the tape tight, it will naturally roll over the top lip creating the necessary gasket. So now you essentially have a gasket seal and a thread seal. Mine has been in “test” for a couple days and has not leaked. I can’t emphasize the use of 33+ vs. other tapes as it’s stretch properties are better. Give it a whirl.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

They say plumbers tape.

I don’t know why no one ever listens to this. 79 cents and you’re done. No extra jars or bags laying around, no $10 specialty leakproof tackle box, and best of all, NO LEAKING.

Maybe the simplest, cheapest solution is just too cheap and simple for some people.

I think this is also an excellent solution. One question for those of you using plumbers tape. Does the tape wear off after opening and closing the jar repeatedly?
    Thanks!

showags
    Hastings, MN

I can’t speak to the plumbers tape, but the 33+ hasn’t budged. I’ve maybe opened it 20-30 times. The key is to make sure to put the tape (regardless of type) on in a manner that when you tighten the lid, it won’t grap the loose end of the tape. When you roll the tape on, go in the same direction as the cap would when screwing on.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I think this is also an excellent solution. One question for those of you using plumbers tape. Does the tape wear off after opening and closing the jar repeatedly?
    Thanks!

I have a few jars. The one I use the most is the asticots/waxis. There are about a million in the jar and I’ve had it since early last season. At the end of last year, there was no leaking. I re-taped it at the beginning of this ice season just as a precaution.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok I know this is for the jars not leaking. but how do you guys work them? do they work all the time or only use them when the bite is hot? as fished with them at Winnie and not even a look from the perch on the heads, maggots or 1 inch bodies

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

ok I know this is for the jars not leaking. but how do you guys work them? do they work all the time or only use them when the bite is hot? as fished with them at Winnie and not even a look from the perch on the heads, maggots or 1 inch bodies

Trial and error. I use live bait on one line and gulp on the other. I switch the live bait to gulp of a different color if the Gulp is out performing. Before switching the Gulp to live bait I try another color.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.