Boat Insurance

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I have spent the last three hours getting insurance quotes for my new boat, and know less now than when I started. My current coverage is a rider on my homeowners policy, but I am none to confident with this policy. I’m looking for some info on what you do for your insurance. I want to be able to add extra coverage for electronics/accessories as the value of these is substantial. Any help folks?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Justin Schneider @ Angler’s Advantage will get you set up!

You can find his info in the “member list”.

He is a site sponsor too.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

You would be doing yourself a favor if you call Bob at Worldwide Marine Insurance:

http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/

All he sells is marine boat insurance for over 20 years and is an agent for many companies. He is spoken very, very highly of on Bass Boat Central and Walleye Central. As a matter of fact I just got a quote back from him with better coverage for $35 less a month. Call him and be ready for an education in marine insurance.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Way to help a brother out Tim.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Way to help a brother out Tim.

I’m trying to get a guy the best purchase on the right insurance. I’ve gotten quotes from both of these sources (plus a lot of others) and just passing along my opinion, site sponsor or not.

Sorry if you feel that’s not helping a brother out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey John, check them both out. Never hurts to compare.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

Justin Schneider @ Angler’s Advantage will get you set up!

You can find his info in the “member list”.

He is a site sponsor too.

X2

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Justin would have to be licensed in IL

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Yep, forgot to mention I am in Illinois. Not sure how that works. I’ve got a couple quotes from the internet, but I feel a lot better talking to an agent who can tell me what is covered under what circumstances, etc.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

After checking things out I used the same company my house and all my vehicles are insured with. Got a break on the plan as well. It’s not a ‘rider’. Its it’s own policy, plus great limits for equipment and electronics.
    NOTE: are you comparing ‘replacement’ insurance or ‘market value’ insurance???? Depreciation is not cool when having to replace a rig. And most companies ‘total’ your rig if it cost 49-50% of the value of the rig to fix it, and you get a settlement MINUS your deductible…

Quote:

I’m trying to get a guy the best purchase on the right insurance. I’ve gotten quotes from both of these sources (plus a lot of others) and just passing along my opinion, site sponsor or not.

Sorry if you feel that’s not helping a brother out.

Tim is correct. Insurance has alot of different factors that influence the rate these days. Although I have been able to help alot of members on this site with their marine insurance, sometimes the products I offer are not always the best fit for every angler.

Bob also offers some very good marine insurance products, and if you are looking for insurance in the state of IL (which I am not currently licensed in), I wouldn’t hesitate to give him a call.

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

Do NOT go with Progressive. Great friendly people on the phone. Horrible to get claim paid. Fire, Prop strike or theft they will try to find a way to deny under “normal wear and tear”

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Do NOT go with Progressive. Great friendly people on the phone. Horrible to get claim paid. Fire, Prop strike or theft they will try to find a way to deny under “normal wear and tear”

The biggest problem with boat insurance is not the company but the policy that is chosen by the consumer. Most policies chosen by the consumer do not cover the customer nor the boat adequately or the consumer doesn’t know the policy specifics so when there is a claim the insurance pays exactly as the contract states and the customer feels they are getting a raw deal. Since the customer was not educated in the specifics of the policy naturally the company writing the policy takes the bad press. KNOW YOUR POLICY AND WHAT IT DOES AND DOESN’T COVER BEFORE A CLAIM! The cheapest policy is almost never the right policy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

The cheapest policy is almost never the right policy.

Through State Farm (which I’m loyal too but that’s another story), I was paying $150. a year for my boat, trailer, motor and gear.

When I started guiding, I called to make sure I was covered.

I could have just assumed that since I had insurance I would be covered, but my agent explained that State Farm would gladly take my money, but when it came to claim time…if they found out I was taking cash (for guiding or a tourney)..they wouldn’t pay out…anything.

Is that State Farms fault or mine?

I’m now with Justin and feel very confident that I’m in good hands.

mojogunter

I have State Farm, and my agent asked if I fished tournaments or not so I had proper coverage. For all my boats I have insured over the years, my agent asked how much coverage I wanted to carry on it, and gave me a quote. I have to pay extra to cover electronics and rods.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

If you own a nice rig or newer rig one of the most important details is to make sure you have “agreed value” or “total loss replacement” coverage. This means if you total a two year old Ranger with an agreed value of $51,000 you get a check for the agreed amount and not a depreciated value which usually does not cover the total cost to replace the boat. Most insurance companies default to a policy based on depreciated values,known as actual cash value policies, as they are less expensive and make the policy cheaper up front for the customer however upon making a claim for a totaled boat usually end up paying far less than the boat is worth.

mojogunter

My policy is for replacement, so my premium stays the same every year unless I choose to lower the coverage. I have never had a claim, and maybe the smart choice would be to lower the coverage as it depreciates, but my luck the next day I would walk out into the garage, and it would be gone.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Thanks everyone for the input. I am on the way to becoming educated on this matter. It sounds like Bob is the guy I need to contact.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.