yamaha f150 gas in the oil?

• andys
    kasson

picked up a alumacraft tourny sport this summer with a yami f150 on it.Used it for about 7-10 hours then checked the oil it was about a half inch over full and stincking of gas.So I changed the oil.Today I went to put her away and the oil level was up and smells like gas with only about two hours on the oil.I know I need to take it in but was wondering if anyone has or had this problem?

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Was this a used or new rig?
    If used how many hours on it?

trucker
    Prairie DuChien WI.

I had a 60hp with the same problem a few years ago. If I remember right it was the fuel pump.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Might need a hotter thermostat, making oil has shown up in several brands, usually caused by either the thermostat or short tripping, lots of idling, etc.
    Running in cold water makes the problem worse.

Try ending the day with a at least 5-10 minutes wot run to try and get the oil hotter.

My F150 will make oil if I run the river in late fall and short trip a lot.

Have the shop check the thermostat and whether the factory has a updated stat for the motor.

Could be other problems, but I see this one happening from time to time on the forums also.

Al

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree with Allen.

Google >> yamaha making oil

Lots to read up on.

-J.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I had the same problem this summer of my F250. Being as it was less than 1 year old (purchased new) I took to shop. What they found, and computer verified was that the thermostat was stuck in cold opertion due to being slightly clogger. They said this happens when running in very shallow conditions and pump sucks debris. I said I was a Walleye fisherman and rarely fish shallow conditions. They said don’t you load you boat in shallow conditions. They had me there. It WAS sand and was probabaly picked up at Hudson boat Launch. I flush my system every few trips now, and oil is staying exactly where it’s suppose to.
    Not saying this is your problem, but this is what mine was, and I was there to verify it.
    Flush system, changed oil, and problem seems to be corrected. My 250 was up about 3 inches.

Good luck

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

What is said in the above post happens. If the motor does not get hot enough, the pistons and rings will not expand enough in the cylinder, which then lets gas slip by, which adds to the oil level. A bad thermostat is generally the culprit, just change it after you clean and flush the water intake system. Four-stroke owners have to pay attention to the oil to look out for this.

andys
    kasson

thanks for responding guys,the motor is an 04 and after the last oil change I only let it idel to warm up and then it was wot from there on,5800-6000 rpms.I don’t know how many hours are on the motor yet(not many)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.