Mercury Optimax or 90hp 4 stroke?

• ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I’m going to buy a Tracker Targa 17sc. The only motors offered by Tracker are Mercurys. I have narrowed it down to either the 90hp 4 stroke or the 115hp optimax. But I have heard that both of these motors have problems. I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on these 2 motors? Thanks!!

Ducks

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I have a ’02 90 4-stroke, and have had ZERO problems with the motor. In fact, she has operated like a dream. All I can say is that I’ve been very impressed with that motor.
    It sounds like the boat you’re getting is rated for 115 max hp? If thats the case, max out your motor and go with the Opti. From what I’ve seen, the higher HP Optis (200 HP+) have had problems. I don’t thing the smaller motors will have the same trouble.

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

DUCK i’VE BEEN DOONG SOME RESEARCH ON THE OPTI’S AND LIKE TRAVIS SAID THE LARGER ONES HAVE THE PROBLEMS I’M GOING TO PURCHASE TH 90HP OPTIMAX VERY SOON I’LL TRY TO POST MY OPINION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I can only speak from experience with my 225 Optimax. Although I have replaced the power head on it twice in 2003, both cases were victim to the ice cold 35 degree water that I was running wide open in. Needless to say, precautions need to be taken with either motor in cold water running. Every outboard has their share of cold water related problems than can promote issues such as oil delivery, fuel rails, thermistat controlled water intake, etc…Travis is right by saying the bigger end hp motors have been kown to fall victim to this in years past.
    Would I buy another Optimax…yes. The performance and optimized fuel consumption characterisics have been very impressive. Only thing I would reccomend to anyone running a Optimax in cold water would be to make sure you let the engine warm up very well before you put her on plane and even at that I would not open her wide open until you have been running at half throttle for several minutes.
    The motor has been very good to me considering the hours I put on it each and every year.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Sounds good and thanks guys, I appreciate it. Anyone else have any more info?

Ducks

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Hi Scott,I’m not much help as I run a 125 Merc on my Alumacraft.I have a good friend who has a 2003 150 Opti and it is a great motor.I really think you would be happy with the 115 Opti,that would be my choice.
    Ryan Hale

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Thanks Ryan! That was my first choice, then I heard that they were having problems with the optimax motors. So I though I would go with the 90hp 4 stroke, then I heard of a fuel problem there. Now I’m leaning back towards the 115hp Optimax. I just hope they have all the bugs worked out.

Ducks

warriorrivy
    Hastings MN

I have owned 2 150 hp Optimax’s, including the first year in “98”, which made me nervous. But at that time, they extended the warranty and I had peice of mind. I now run a “01”. I have had zero trouble with either of them. Run strong with very good gas and oil mileage. I had a “86” carb’ed 4 cyl. 75 hp Merc. before the Opti’s and the 150’s are better on both gas and oil when going the same distance! You will also be suprised at how low those things will idle. Using the optional programmer on the speedo, (I forgot the trade name Merc calls it,) mine will run down to 455 rpm! And you can do that all day without loading up! Plus you still have 2 stroke performance! The DFI 2 stroke motors are really something. I am sure that the DFI Evinrude’s and Yamaha’s are in the same league. It all comes down to brand preferance, color/shape, or what will contribute the most money in tourneys! Good Luck!

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

It starting to sound like the optimax is the way to go. I have also had people tell me that the optis run as quiet as the 4 strokes. Any truth to that? I see the Mercury Optimax oil runs $21.95 a gallon, on average how much oil do you go through per 30 gallons? Do you use the recommended fuel system cleaner? If so how often? Thanks again!!

Ducks

lundmann23
    Franklin

the optis are not nearly as quiet as a 4- stroke. i have a 135 opti and also have had 0 problems. i fill my oil reservoir once per season and still has a little left by the end of the year. i may not fish as much as guides but i average atleast 2 full days a week of fishing. plus when the fishing slows my friends and i do some skiing and tubing.

warriorrivy
    Hastings MN

No, they don’t run as quiet as a 4 stroker, but they are quieter than older 2 strokes.
    For me, it’s hard to say exactly how much oil I go through. My boat has a 50 gal. gas tank, and a 3 gal. oil tank. Over a five day weekend at Winne, (Large lake), with a lot of running around, I will go through about 40 gal. of gas, and I would bet that I don’t go through 3/4 gal. of oil. I generally only look at the oil tank every 2 to 3 fill ups, and then add another gal. or so of oil. After breakin, (during break-in, the motors computer automaticlly adds more oil!), you will be suprised at how little it uses.
    As for the kind of oil, there has been many discussions on this board about this. I only use the Optimax oil. For as little as you will use, it isn’t that big a deal to me. Piece of mind thing! I have done the same thing with all my snowmobiles. The only time that I add something to the fuel, is on the last time I am out in Nov., I will add the proper amount of Sta-bil to the gas that is left in the tank, and run it for a couple of miles. As for gas, I always run Premium. Preferably without alcohol. We have it at one station here in Hastings. I follow the recommended storage procedures, which is easy for this motor compared to carb’ed motors. By this time every year, I am back out on the river. I am going out tomorrow for the first time this year! Ya Hooo!

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Thanks WR!! I appreciate the info!! Anything else that you think pertinent to me purchasing this 115hp Optimax I’m all ears.

Ducks

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Well, I think I have made up my mind then. It sounds like the problems with the Optis has been few and far between. I believe the highest rating for the Targa 17sc is 125hp. But that motor is a standard 2 stroke. So 115hp Optimax is the largest motor, with the best out put and the best fuel ecomomy available for the Targa 17sc. 115hp Optimax it will be. Thanks guys for all the info and advise. It helped alot!!

Ducks

StaleMackrel

Hi, I have a 90 four stroke. It is a good motor except for this idiosynchrosy that cost me money and time away from the water on two trips up to Winnie. DO Not squeeze the ball hard! It will flood your engine. Since I found that out and only pump the ball till gas starts to go into the engine I have not had a problem. In fact I enjoy the motor a lot. Good luck in your choice!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Price per gallon has been sporadicly priced in most marine/bait shops. I have seen $16.99 per gallon and as expensive as $23.99 per gallon. Its worth shopping around a bit before you go and buy a bunch at a time. If its one or two, maybe not that big of a deal.
    I like to buy 6 gallons at a time. I figured I put not quite 3 cases of oil through my 225 Opti last year alone. That would equte to 17-18 gallons. I have burned 1200 gallons of fuel through the engine so far. Its a 2002 model.

I used to run a Warrior 2090BT with a Merc carbed 125 tiller. That motor and all the 2+2 (2 cylinder shut off below 1800rpm’s) motors seem to guzzle the fuel/oil pretty good. The Optimax is much quieter than some of these older 2 strokes, not quite as quiet as the 4 strokes however.
    You will love the motor! Turn the key operation…no more choking!

If you would like any cold water running tips, feel free to drop me a PM and I would gladly point you in the right direction!
    Good luck

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Ducks, the new mid-range Opti’s are brand new this year, the 75,90, and 115. think this is a whole new motor. they do have the Opti line to rely on for it’s engineering, but again it is new this year, and prob would be better for fewer problems in a year or two. Jack.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Jack, I had understood that the Optimax motors were new or redesigned in 2003. Is the 2004 model new or redesigned again? Thanks for any info.

Ducks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.