Is it that time yet?

• flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Is it that time yet when the lakes ‘up north’ turn over. Does anyone have word if this has or is happening as of now? Sure seems like with all the rain and the temps dropping it should had happened…

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

I’m not a huge follower of traditional turnover beliefs (happens every year, you can smell it, fish quit biting, ect, ect). Doug Stange wrote an article many years ago demystifying turnover, as well as other studies more recently. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I believe there are times when it’s very subtle, sometimes barely perceptable.

That said, I witnessed something very surprising on Monday morning an Alexandria area lake. Water temp was around 62 degrees in the morning. I had noticed a bit more “color” (green algae like) than normal, and as I was going across the lake, I came across a large area of thick green scum. It reminded my of the green scum up in the NW angle on LOTW in the summer, but worse. Made me think some turnover process might be going on. ???? I thought right then and there that the “turnover threads” were gonna be showing up soon. lol. Could be happening, IMO.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.