Air Horn Blast, American Justice

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Neighbor’s music leads man to take up air horn

“By JEFF REINITZ, [email protected] | Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2010 6:00 am | (10) Comments

WATERLOO – A Waterloo man upset by a neighbor’s loud music took matters into his own hands.

Carl Herold, 62, said he was tired of constantly calling police to complain about the “hippie tunes” coming from across the street, so Wednesday he got an air horn.

“I just started blasting it,” said Herold, a resident of the Chautauqua Park neighborhood, which is across Conger Street from Exchange Park.

Herold’s cacophony caused Waterloo police to arrest him for disorderly conduct and seize his air horn.

Herold said he’s had a long-standing problem with the music and has filed complaints about the neighbor allegedly building a shed on adjacent city property.

“I don’t have to sit in my house and hear his music,” Herold said. “We called a number of times, and nothing seems to be done.”

He’s also upset about residents who park on the sidewalk.

The problems came to a head earlier this week, and Herold bought an air horn that was taken from an old dump truck.

He set up the horn on his deck facing the neighbor’s home. He ran a hose to an air compressor to power the horn. Another line led to his living room where he could control the contraption from his couch.

Herold said it took a few minutes for residents to get annoyed and call police.

Officer Stephen Crozier was called to investigate shortly before 1 p.m. His report noted he could hear the horn five blocks before he arrived at Herold’s Riverside Drive home. He said it continued to sound every five to 10 seconds.

Crozier noticed the device outside. Herold, still sitting on his couch at the switch, told him to come in.

“I asked him what was going on and the suspect told me he didn’t like the neighbor’s music across the street and so he was sounding the horn. He then sounded the horn,” Crozier wrote in his report on the incident.

“I asked him why he didn’t call the police about his neighbor’s music and he said the police never do anything. He then sounded the horn,” the officer’s report continues.

Herold said he was arrested because he didn’t quit blowing the horn when the officer told him to stop.

“I just blasted the (expletive deleted). I didn’t give a (expletive deleted),” Herold said.

Herold was led away in handcuffs, and police told the neighbor to keep his music down.”

In the Waterloo Courier today, sounds like my dad .

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Sounds like my neighborhood, except I have a problem with four wheelers. LOUD ONES

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

cacophony

Had to look that one up….

-J.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You know what they say….fight fire with fire and, fight loud music with cacophony

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

OMG… so the cops failed to deal with a lousy neighbor and the guy who they all failed is going to jail?

I wish I could win the lottery so I could fund legal defense for cases like this guy’s all over the country and start making it obvious just what a joke “law _enforcement_” and our court system really are.

stuart
    Mn.

I am very surprized the Blackhawk police didn’t shoot the old guy.One of, if not the most gang like police departments in the country.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I know the officer and the guy is a moron. When the officer was trying to talk to him he kept blowing the air horn. Also…there is no such department was the Black Hawk police. This was the Waterloo Police not the Black Hawk Sheriff.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Having had neighbors such as these (that ended up getting evicted recently, in fact), I can honestly sympathize with the guy’s frustration and contempt for the police. They do nothing until the situation escalates and then they punish the wrong person.

I bet the officer in question wasn’t saying things like “Look, I’m really sorry we completely ignored you in the past… please, let me take care of this for you!” Barring that, I really don’t blame the guy.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

The officer did try and talk to him and tell him that he would help him but he was wacked out and kept blowing the horn. Would not listen to the officer so left him with no choice. The guy is a nut job. I liked what he did but he just didn’t know when to stop and keep from taking it to far.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

I know the officer and the guy is a moron.

I grew up in Waterloo and can see by your avatar that you captured the captain at the shooting range.
    Don’t take it so personal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.