Nelson Marine Thanks for Ripping Me Off

• Jira

A bit of a rant, but hang it there — I’m so dang frustrated!

I brought my boat in for a “starter spinning but not engaging” issue at Nelson Marine in Maplewood this week.

Turns out it was simply the Bentex gear.

Nelson charged me $198 for the part and another $120 for diagnosis/replacement labor.

I didn’t think this was out of line until I checked prices online for the parts and learned I could have gotten an entire starter for $68. Granted, they put the gear in, and they NEED to make something on parts but their cost on the part was about $26 and I got charged $198.

I felt that an 800 percent markup was excessive, but I needed to make sure I wasn’t the one out of line.

I called LeCannes this morning and asked them for an estimate to replace the Bentex gear in my motor. LeCannes quoted me $53 for the gear and $47 for the install… with tax $106.

Now $106+ $50 or whatever for diagnosis is a far cry from the nearly $350 that Nelson set me back — and it irks me a lot.

I didn’t even bother calling Nelson back and asking what was up because they already have my money and I have a detailed bill and a lighter wallet to prove it.

At least I didn’t buy a $30k boat from them — maybe I got off cheap.

I also learned the hard way that it pays to shop around… next time my boat goes to LeCannes.

Final note is that while the rest of the staff at Nelson seemed pretty dang rude from beginning to end (should have been my first sign) the tech that called me was a pleasant and helpful guy. +1 bright spot for them I guess.

Anyways, I feel better — thanks for listening!

JJ

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

No complaining if you don’t have the gumption to bring the wrong to their attention. Seriousley, its not difficult to walk in there and profesionally bring it to a mngrs attention and ask them to write the wrong. I would. -mark

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I hear ya,

Big City prices for darn near anthing with overhead and labor involved will be higher than outsatate; Don’t argue that it sounds a bit high but the good thing is you’re back on the water. Chalk it up as a bad experience and let it go -there’s fish out there that need catching.. Nelson’s has been in business for many years so they must be doing something right.

Pete

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mark AKA Chuck has a good point.

You have nothing to loose except 5 more minutes of your time.

…and if they tell you to screw off, it’s a good reason to have a beer.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I know a friend who did not have very good service from them. They were suppose to fix his trailer lights. A fairly easy task if you ask me, but they charged him big dollars and never fixed it. We had to pull over east of Chicago and fix the lights enroute to Erie. My friend was not too happy.

Jira

Seriously? You’re going with that? How did my ‘manhood’ come into this?

Maybe I should be toughguy hardcore where I am going to walk in and take some names and kick some [censored]? Then what? Temporary satisfaction of chewing someone and 8 hours later I feel just as ripped off because and they told me I paid it and it is what it is?

My point is shop around on this stuff and don’t get taken to the cleaners like I did.

Jira

Chuck.. thanks for editing my “manhood” out.

jimcarpenter

jicky;
    it gets pretty old having to watch out for BS like this doesn’t it? i hear what you are saying – why do some places seem to take advantage of customers when they can? the answer is because they can… that’s when they do it. don’t be lazy with these type of rip off joints. Get on the phone and let them know you don’t appreciate the fact that they “ripped you off” on this one. Let them know you were very disappointed and you shopped around after the point because their bad business forced you to check with a competitor or two.
    I think it sucks when a shop will take advantage of their customers like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

As soon as I hit send I knew that was worded wrong, thought I had edited quick enough. I appolagize.

You have gone elsewhere after the fact and looked at their pricing. I.e. Setting up validity in your argument. I would bring it up. If that is the price diff it is horrible what they did but do go in there and PROFESSIONALY bring the findings forward, let them know you are very dis-satisfied and ask them to refund a good pertion or the diff. Best luck -Mark

muskyfish

I live in south st. paul and I have been using Lacannes the last couple years. There prices rock compared to the cities prices. Sure it is a drive down there. In the fall when pheasent season is open, Ibring it in in the morning, hunt and pick it up before they close. Really happy with there service..

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I live in south st. paul and I have been using Lacannes the last couple years. There prices rock compared to the cities prices. Sure it is a drive down there. In the fall when pheasent season is open, Ibring it in in the morning, hunt and pick it up before they close. Really happy with there service..

Same here, we looked for several months for a boat and dealer to buy from, LaCannes is a hour+ drive, but well worth it.

Al

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I bought my boat from a dealer that is 1.5 hours away, just because of their customer service. Yes, it is a pain when I need to take the boat up there, but it is worth it to me. They treat me like I’m their only customer, have very fair prices, and usually give me a hat or some oil or do something on the boat for free just for making the trip up. By treating me that way, they have insured that they will keep getting my business even if I have to go out of my way to give it to them.

I would go back to the shop that bent you over and tell them what you’ve learned. Ask if they will refund you some money or maybe give you a tube of preparation H to soothe the burning. If they give you the preparation H, tell them to find this post on-line, mention how many members IDO has, and be happy to know that nobody from IDO will give them any business.

a1a

Midas in Elk River did a similar thing when my wife brought her car in for a brake job. Like you, when I got the bill I was pretty miffed about the cost. I called around, got a few written estimates, brought them in and demanded an explanation from the manager as to why his costs were so high. Bottom line, he reduced the bill substantially and all was well with the world again. I believe if more people stood up for themselves and had a civil discussion with whoever they feel is “ripping them off”, rather than ranting on the internet that everyone would be happier. But then again most people just like to b!#ch and blame, rather than focus their energy into constructive resolutions.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Midas in Elk River did a similar thing when my wife brought her car in for a brake job. Like you, when I got the bill I was pretty miffed about the cost. I called around, got a few written estimates, brought them in and demanded an explanation from the manager as to why his costs were so high. Bottom line, he reduced the bill substantially and all was well with the world again. I believe if more people stood up for themselves and had a civil discussion with whoever they feel is “ripping them off”, rather than ranting on the internet that everyone would be happier. But then again most people just like to b!#ch and blame, rather than focus their energy into constructive resolutions.

This is how it should be done… not going on the internet and ranting/telling one side…. 2 sucker punches just leave both of you aching….

big G

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I would say most people have already discussed their issue with the dealer by the time they vent on the net. I dont see anything wrong with it. After all if I can keep someone from getting the shaft, then I will.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I would say most people have already discussed their issue with the dealer by the time they vent on the net. I dont see anything wrong with it. After all if I can keep someone from getting the shaft, then I will.

Taken from the original post…I didn’t even bother calling Nelson back and asking what was up because they already have my money and I have a detailed bill and a lighter wallet to prove it.

big G

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Nelson Marine…12 years ago bought my first brand new boat there. Paperwork said trolling motor was brand new. Paperwork said 50 horse 4-stroke Merc was a 98′. Trolling motor was reconditioned. Merc was a 97′ and due to it sitting so long carbs were clogged.
    Brought it back and said (calmly…) you have 2 choices. Either I come back with my lawyer kicking and screaming FRAUD or you order me a boat cover and a stainless prop plus a check for $500. I kindly left with what I asked for. Stand up for what is right and what we have coming…RR

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Alumacraft/Yamaha owner here. Had a few warranty repairs
    out of the crate and always got this response at the dealership in question…………….

“warranty doesn’t pay sh^t”.

You’re just making up for that with your repair cost.

I bring my boat elsewhere where they don’t complain about
    getting paid to do warranty work.

big_g
    Isle, MN

and here comes the pile on…. Lovely…..

big G

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Not sure why anyone would complain about a post like this unless they worked at the place.

Personally any help I can get to buy or repair something in a fair and decent manner is a plus for me.

No dealership is with out complaints, but if one gets complaint after complaint I’m much more likely to suspect they don’t have anybody’s..including my best interests in heart.

Hearing one side is always risky, but it does/can help normally to make a decision on where you do business at.

And when the piling on happens, gotta make ya wonder…doesn’t it?

Al…we could always start a thread on crystal marine and their games..

big_g
    Isle, MN

I don’t work there, but like the post said, a nice tehcnician does. I am in service and it always is fun when you quote somebody a price, they accept and give the go ahead & then they shop you after the fact. I have found in this business, there is the price to fix something… the price the “other shop” “would have” charged you, had you brought it there…. (typically significantly less than what you paid “somewhere else”), thus pizzing on the “competition” & earning your future business…and then, the price you can buy the part for on-line and put in yourself or a buddy (typically a 12 pack max)….. oh yes, it is fun to run a service dept

big G

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

How come nobody shouts out, “Stop giving Everts such nice compliments. Don’t give them the credit they are due for doing such a nice job!”…

To me it works correctly both ways. When you do good word will spread (as in the Everts example…) When you do bad word will also spread (as in the Nelson’s example…).

Now that “Social Media” is so big…Company’s REALLY have to be careful to do the right thing so their name is complimented on the internet and not dragged through the mud…Just my .02…RR

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

JickyJack,
    First of all, I am in no means defending Nelson Marine. But,,,,, based on the beautiful restoration job you did on your hull (as shown in a different thread) you are obviously mechanically inclined. If you knew that the starter/bendix was defective, why didn’t you fix it yourself? Also, price-wise for the starter, are you comparing apples to apples? Did Nelson replace with an OMC/BRP OEM unit, and you are comparing to aftermarket, non-mfg components? No doubt, the $68 starter is probably just as good as an OEM one, but did you price-check the exact item they installed? Certainly, if they bought an aftermarket unit, and charged you for an OEM one, they should explain why. That borders on fraud.
    Did you ask them to contact you BEFORE making the repair, with an estimate, after their diagnosis? I’d have to assume that by now, they are aware of this thread, and your displeasure. Let’s hope they “step up” and offer you some relief on the tab.
    HRG

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good example….. I am sure “somebody” sometime had a bad experience somewhere….. I won’t bring another business into this conversation…. Would it be fair for them to not address it with the owner/manager, but rather go onto a site which emcompass’ alot of their potential clients and trash talk it, because you didn’t do your homework before you decided to do business with them ??? I guess I was brought up, if I have a problem/issue with someone, I address it with them, before I do with everybody else….. But hey, that’s just me

Would it be fair to order a Hamburger at Pittsburgh Blue, pay for it, then the next day, find out McDonalds had Hamburgers for .99 & proceed to trash Pittsburgh Blue I guess I would give them a chance to explain why there burger/service was superior to the other place…..

big G

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I don’t work there, but like the post said, a nice tehcnician does. I am in service and it always is fun when you quote somebody a price, they accept and give the go ahead & then they shop you after the fact. I have found in this business, there is the price to fix something… the price the “other shop” “would have” charged you, had you brought it there…. (typically significantly less than what you paid “somewhere else”), thus pizzing on the “competition” & earning your future business…and then, the price you can buy the part for on-line and put in yourself or a buddy (typically a 12 pack max)….. oh yes, it is fun to run a service dept

big G

Been in service for over 35 years, and your adding apples to oranges here, he isn’t talking about having a “buddy” do it, he talking about a professional shop doing it.

He also mentions that LaCannes quoted a price of $106 dollars and nelsons was $310.
    LaCannes has never missed a quote with me and I doubt for this kind of job, there would be mimimal additions to their bid.
    This isn’t, “motor misses, how much to fix?” kind of questions.

I’m also betting there’s a flat rate on this job.

While I agree in, Buyer Beware, I think one of the ways to become aware is reading posts like this one.

nelsons is taking him for a ride, nice tech there or not.

Al

big_g
    Isle, MN

Right Allen, I gave 3 price scenarios I address regularly. I am betting a Million dollars, whatever business your in, I can find a lower price somewhere for the exact service than what you would charge. Can I then trash talk you all over the place on a site full of your potential clients, without even talking to you ??? This is what happened. Plain and simple. Wrong in my opinion.

big G

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I appluaud you bringing this issue up. Anyone in the service business should know that the days of total loyalty are over until it is earned. There are several media outlets in which to bring dissatisfaction to the public. Just as the original poster gave his side, the motor servicing business has the same option. How many times has this happened in the past? Knowing what I know here, I’m less likely to get service work at said business, even if I’m in the neighborhood. And anyone in the service business should know that it costs a heck of a lot more money to get a customer back, than it costs to keep a customer happy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Right on chomps Also in any business, you know you cannot please 100% of the people all the time and when it does happen that you don’t, it would be nice to be able to try to make it right before being drug through the mud and the damage done. On another note, there are lots of customers, that a business is better off not having in the first place…..and anybody in business, knows what I am talking about….. something about a saying with a new rope comes to mind….

big G

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Not to throw fuel on the fire but just as education for some. Penetrating oil or light grease would have probably solved your issue with the Bentix Gear. It does 99 percent of the time anyways.

Did you get the old part back?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.