1-898C-SI or 1-798C-SI and 1-788CI

• bclii
    MN/AZ

What do you think would be better on the console of my 1860.
    1-898c-si unit or 1-798c-si and 1-788ci.
    I like running a unit for GPS with its screen split and then another unit for all sonar. Would the 798c-si be a big enough screen to run without the GPS part of its display? It seems the 898 would be too cluttered with the 3- screens on the 7″. These 2 options would be very close in price.
    thanks

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

I ran the 788ci last year, it’s fine with only one item on the screen. The 858 would be difficult to read in the 3 screen mode, I have the 958(8″ screen) and I feel that gets small in the three screen mode. If it were me, I would buy the largest screen I could afford and save up to buy another large unit next year. I think you will be dissatisfied with the small sceen in the long run.

trouter18

I have tried something similar, I have 798 and also run a lowrance. If I were you, I would buy the 898. One of the nice things about the SI is that you will see great looking spots and want to mark those on your GPS. I wouldn’t want the hassle of switching my coordinates to the other unit all the time. On the other hand, one thing you might want to consider first is the screen view that you would use most often & look at some screen shots of it. There are a lot of options of screen views to see, and you can customize a few (on my 798 it is 3) buttons to quickly switch to a different view. One thing I don’t like is that I am unable to see all of the data (speed, for example) on all of the screens. I don’t know how the 898 works, but the 798 doesn’t show speed when I’m in a 3 way split (downscan, si, and sonar) for example. If someone can help me get this to work I’d be all ears!

bclii
    MN/AZ

So would the Side imaging screen be used more for scouting structure then fishing? And use the down imaging and 2-D screens for fishing?

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

That is typically what I use the SI for. Scan for structure or areas holding fish then use the curser to mark the spot and go back to it with your sonar and down imaging.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.