Coating Your Own Anchor Chain

• LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Since I already had a nice four foot section of chain in the garage, I thought I’d try to coat it myself. Went to Home Depot and opted to go with the spray instead of the liquid. Used a bird feeder pole to hang the chain, so I could easily access from all sides. Applied four coats (allowing a half hour to dry between each coat) and I have to say it turned out really nice. So long as the coating holds up after use (the real test), it’ll be be a well spent $6

Jim

><(((>

Todders

Good idea, it is just rediculous what they charge for that 4′ section already coated. Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Post a photo when your done…Please!

Also a follow up after it’s been in the water…I’ll buy 4 cans if this works out!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

How did you keep the links from sticking together?

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Brian – Believe it or not, I’ve never posted a pic before. That said, this will give me a good excuse to take one and give it a try. I’ll definitely follow up once I hit the water with it (hopefully, this weekend).

Smackem – I flipped the chain between coats, hanging from one end for one coat and the other end for the next coat.

><(((>

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Make it easy on yourself and change your camera setting to 640×480. This way you won’t have to reduce the size before posting.

No need for a fish in the picture…I just want to see how the chain turned out.

I have a second uncoated chain that I don’t use because it always gets pulled up side the boat.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

How does flipping the chain over help coat the ends of the links – they are always under tension and in contact with the next link …… just curious. Great idea – I’ve got a anchor chain that could use a coating as well. What is the product you used?

Thanks
    Pete

wkw

I have a can of spray on undercoating. Will that work ??
    WKW

jake47
    WI

Out of curiosity, what is the point of using a chain on your anchor? I have always just used rope….Is it a Mississippi river thing?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not just a river thing.

Using a water spike type anchor, the chain holds the anchor in more of a horizontal position. This will make the anchor points “dig” in more instead to lifting the anchor of the bottom. Obviously a chain wouldn’t really be needed for a mushroom style anchor.

That help?

jake47
    WI

Yep makes sense. Thanks!

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Brian – Thanks for the tip on sizing. Won’t wait to get a fish in the picture…will try to get something up in the next few days.

Trophy 19 – Yes, the links are in contact with one another, but keep in mind that I hung the chain straight up and down from a bird feeder pole (not rolling it on it’s side). When it was hanging one way, the spray couldn’t get between the links on the underneath side. Hence the reason for flipping it to the other end and going back and forth between coats. One of the things I want to observe is how the coating holds up between where the links contact each other (verses the rest of the chain from coming into contact with rocks, etc.)…I suspect that will wear more quickly due to tension between links. That said, I’m more concerned with the coating staying on the outside to minimize noise if it’s banging the rocks in rough water and more importantly, keeping from damaging my boat as I raise and lower the anchor.

The name of the product escapes me, but I’ll take a look at the can and get back to you on that one.

wkw – This whole thing is an experiment for me, so I guess I couldn’t say whether or not the undercoating wil work or not…sorry.

><(((>

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.