165 Nav w/90 4-stroke merc

• illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

my 165 Aluma/Nav is stuck in limbo land because the dealer cannot come up with a 2010 90 4-stroke honda, which apparently/allegedly is on indefinite backorder because the factory cannot keep up with demand. (rolling eyes graemlin)

anyways … one of my options is to go with a 90 4stroker merc instead. i know that is a great motor – i have run one for 8 years on a targa 17 with zero issues – however, i am concerned about that big heavy motor on the nav as opposed to the targa.

does anyone out there have a 165Nav/merc90/4 combo? i would be interested in how you like or dislike it.

thanks…

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

I wouldn’t settle for anything less than you want…

I made that mistake several years ago and still kicking myself in the butt…

I would just find another dealer who can get YOU what you want.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

If you’re getting the 165 Nav Sport, I wouldn’t worry about the extra weight. It could actually help balance out the additional forward weight, plus the extra cubic inches of the Merc can’t hurt, eh? If you do go with the Merc, have them add the SC1000 SmartCraft tachometer, so you can get the engine data and troll control.

HRG

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

ya, it is the sport
    thanks, HRG, i guess thats what i was looking for – someone besides the dealer to tell me the merc isnt too big for the nav.
    plus, its a little cheaper than the honda and i think the merc 90 is a better way to go than a 75/4 honda.

herb
    6ft under

Larry, how much difference in weight is there between the 2 motors?

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

only 40 pounds dif, according to the dealer.
    really not too much to worry about. heck, at the rate i’m going, in 5 more years i might weigh 40 pounds more.
    its just that the 90/4 merc looks as big as a 200.

herb
    6ft under

Nah, yer just a little squirt, but ya know sumpin? That big engine will prolly make you look smaller.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.