fishing tricks you’ve played on your buddies?

• chris dymale
    west bend, wi

Over the years, there’s a group of about 15 of us that make our way to the Chippewa Flowage every May for the Treeland Walleye Challenge. We’ve played some nasty tricks on each other over the years and I’m looking for more.

The one year, I printed off a sheet of paper saying “you’ve been had by Mr. Walleye!!” and placed it on the console of a guys boat after I took all of his rods out of his boat and put them on top of his travel trailer while he slept late one morning.
    He thought it was a different person in our group and poured all of his bait minnows in the guys back seat leaving the sign. That guy in turn thought it was someone else and put his truck up on blocks also leaving the sign.

This was the funniest thing because everyone accused everyone else and it made it almost like a murder mystery the week of fishing.

So, what kind of stuff do you pull on each other? exlax in some cookies? talcum powder on the TP? lets hear em!!!

deertracker

Not really a fishing trick, but woke up to a few M80’s bouncing off the side of my tent last year at our annual fishing trip. It’s a good way to let them know you are thinking of them. I see something bigger than an M80 as payback this year.

DT

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

you started a chain of events off like that? not really a practical joke, more like contending for D-Bag of the year.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

You guys are brutal

Retying your buddys lure with one little over
    hand knot can result in a Guinness book cast.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

geez what a crew you guys are lol!!

when my girlfriend and i first meet, her dad ,brother and uncle and myself went to red lake icefishing one winter. keep in mind these folks barely knew me. well it started out as a slow day and by noon or so and 1, 2, 3, 4 or more beers later her dad had dozed off . heres was my chance to make a lasting impression i reeled in his rod and hooked on a empty beer can and sank it to the bottom, i adjusted his bobber to where it was just under water. sat back down then i yelled “bobber bobber” omg he jumed up grabbed his rod and set the hook on what he thought was a massive crappie.. after landing the bud lite, “lmao”. if looks could kill i was dead. nobody said a word besides it was hard to when we were bent over laughing.. end the end whe all had a blast limiting out on slabs both days and a bonous 40 in northern..

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Change the language on your friends Lowrance finder/gps from english to cyrilic (russian). You have to remember the sequence/format to return it to english unless you can read the foreign language.
    jim

big_g
    Isle, MN

About a month ago…. at a perch tourney on Mille… we reeled up one of the few guys rod, that was actually fishing… and attached a hotdog…. he comes over about 15 minutes later…. jigs his rod, looks at his flasher and says “Here we go boys !!!” He proceeded to reel in the biggest hotdog of the day !!! It was fighting and everything The look on his face was…priceless…

big G

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

One day my buddy and I were fishing for trout on a pond and the wind was blowing…his bobber drifted while he went to the truck…so I casted right where his bobber was and when he got back he noticed “his ” bobber twitching and diving, so he set the hook to no avail as I kept it twitching! I about fell in laughing so hard, his dad got a pretty good laugh too !

shaley
    Milford IA

We aren’t to bad, loosen drags, zip tie line to the rods, whack your buddys line when he aint looking causing a hookset on nothing, faking fish on an 8 and having them dive for the net, hiding your partners hot bait. And things like this

robby
    Quad Cities

Oldie but goodie! Tape a large rubber snake to the inside lid of a livewell. First time it opens for the day, whammo! Flying serpent.

jerry b
    western WI

An M-80 down the pump-out hole of an occupied pit toilet is always good for some excitement jerr

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Minnows dumped in my seat? I think that’s a bit too far and would cause some serious recourse.

I will, however, have to admit that we got taken for a ride. Fishing the King Kat national championship at Milford, KS back in 07, Jim and I were the only team that didn’t hit the strippers and bars one night, so we could get to sleep and get up early and find fish (I know…call us buzzkills now).

We get up early, head out on the water, and go to get baits in the water and my reel just zings line out. I figure that’s weird, tighten down my drag, then get the next bait out. Same thing. I just laughed my a$$ off because I knew we’d been had. Every spool was just about to fall off the reel. My cousin told me it was better than what they WERE gonna do: let the air out of my trailer tires.

But hey, we did finish higher than all the other teams in the cabin. Cousin didn’t find THAT funny.

wkw

Pull about 20-30 ft of line off your victims rod and reel,
    then cut it and rewind it on(make sure his favorite lure is attached). He’ll be pissed when his fav lure flies off on a short line. The best part is, this can be repeated a couple times on one reel if you want to work at it. He loses one lure, ties on another, loses it, etc.
    WKW

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Pulled off the old beer can on the hook of a buddy at an ice fishing contest on lake elysian years ago.After he wandered back from getting a brat and saw the bobber down he proceeded to stuff the whole thing into his mouth and then fight the monster while we cheered him on. As the audience of several dozen watched he finally iced his first budwieser of the day.Needless to say he nearly choked on the brat trying to give us the business.

shaley
    Milford IA

A couple more, run your buddys strap out under his trailer at the launch, unhook his trailer from the truck at a gas/bait stop, if 2 friends at a ramp swap their trailers.

dea
    Hixton, WI

Program your co-pilot to work your buddies trolling motor. You can really mess them up…

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Program your co-pilot to work your buddies trolling motor. You can really mess them up…

I like that one

chris dymale
    west bend, wi

pretty good guys!! and i am not a d-bag. I cant help the others started pulling stunts on each other. what is the best part of it all is that everyone is looking over their shoulders the whole time. Hey, one guy faked a heart attack to get back at a guy.

i do like the multiple cuts in the line thing though. that i will do. every 25 foot or so. Jigs we dont mind losing and i cant wait to laugh my butt off from the next boat over as we jig off of a bog.

i still need more stuff though. stuff that can be done under the cover of darkness. cant screw with a guys boat though. any good anchor tricks or jokes other than cutting the rope short?
    rubber snake in the livewell sounds good though!! do they still sell those toilet monsters so when the person lifts the lid a monster jumps out?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

“Why are you getting so many bites?”

“I warm up my leeches in my mouth so they wiggle better in the water. Try it.”

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

I have a good one from a Canada trip a couple years ago.
    A guy that is usually the “party” guy went to bed early one night. We went and got his rod out of the boat and pulled all of the line off of his reel and switched off his anti reverse and reeled it all on backwards, and set the switch back. Everyone but him was in on the joke so the next morning all 3 boats headed out to the same spot. I should also mention that there is some serious gambling on this trip for big fish, first fist, and etc. Well this guy baited up and cast out, we were pulling crawlers for walleyes, and he gets the first bite of the day. Well when he set and went to reel, his line was actually shooting off of his reel because the line was on backwards. Man, he couldnt figure it out, but he knew he had been had when all 3 boats were busting their guts. Finally a guy in his boat tipped him off and he let out all of his line and wound it in the right way. He actually got the last laugh because he still caught the fish and got the first fish money for his boat that day. We still laugh about that prank every year while in canada.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

pretty good guys!! and i am not a d-bag. I cant help the others started pulling stunts on each other. what is the best part of it all is that everyone is looking over their shoulders the whole time. Hey, one guy faked a heart attack to get back at a guy.

i do like the multiple cuts in the line thing though. that i will do. every 25 foot or so. Jigs we dont mind losing and i cant wait to laugh my butt off from the next boat over as we jig off of a bog.

i still need more stuff though. stuff that can be done under the cover of darkness. cant screw with a guys boat though. any good anchor tricks or jokes other than cutting the rope short?
    rubber snake in the livewell sounds good though!! do they still sell those toilet monsters so when the person lifts the lid a monster jumps out?

doing a practical joke on someone is fine, but if you come out and find your truck on blocks, or a bucket of minnows dumped in the backseat, that is taking it way too far, and well beyond a joke.

more like worthy of a punch to the…..

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Learn your neighbors tip up pager code and you can play that one for months.

chris dymale
    west bend, wi

perch 44,
    hey i agree with that. i didn’t do that. as for the minnows on the back seat, i think it was more just a bunch on the back floor, not an entire bucket of water n minnows n junk. but i didn’t do that either.
    the truck up on blocks, well–the owner of the truck played a prank on the guy who put his up on blocks the year before. he raised the guys car just high enough so that the tires spun but didn’t look as if anything was wrong.
    so it’s not as if he took all his tires off or anything like that.
    the guy was ready to go get bait or beer (maybe both) and couldn’t get his truck to go.. the other joke was just a stinky fish in the back seat.

what is funny about all of this is that our group tends to pull stuff on eachother all the time. there is usually one good joke after another. i just figured that by writing up the letter, i could do it without anyone knowing and sure enough, they all went after eachother one trick after another.
    there is never any real damage done, just bruised ego’s now and then and nothin that costs money to fix either. the guy with the minnows in the back seat…..he’s got sooooo much garbage back there that he probably didn’t notice til about june when he actually cleaned his car!!!

yote_tamer

Oldie but goodie. Staying at the same motel as some buddies. Walked down to the desk and convinced the gal to give us a wake-up call at 3:00, 3:30, 4:00 and 4:30. But gave her our buddies room #.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

After a good night of partying, it is always fun to saran wrap the door frame. We did this to a buddy of mine. He was in his room and we pound on the door saying “Get up it’s 8:00”. He comes stumbling out and gets all wrapped up in the plastic. Take it a step further and fill the area between the door and saran wrap with shaving cream or whipped cream…classic.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

During a week long trip to Canada, we had buddy who was bragging how smart he was by bringing his own down pillow from home. On the long drive up, he wouldn’t let another guy even use it in the car to take a nap. We were calling him a Mama’s boy. So the same guy who wanted to take a nap, sneaks into his cabin and cuts a small slit in his pillow seam and then slips in about 5 dead minnows, proceeds to fluff the pillow up and leaves smiling. After about 3 days, we go into their cabin and it just reeks. Each day goes by and it gets worse and worse. The buddy who owns the pillow starts complaining about it too but doesn’t know where the smell is coming from and continues to sleep on his favorite down pillow. Finally he figures it out and ended up throwing out his pillow! Tt was a good laugh and he was a pretty good sport about it too.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can’t remember any practical jokes, but we do have a tradition. My brother has a friend named Bob and it is a tradition that when you see him, you greet him by yelling out “BOB”, like the What About Bob movie sound bite they used to play on the KQ morning show. That includes 5am when my brother and he are pulling up to the dock.

So how about other people’s ‘traditions’?

get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

Toss small split shots one at a time in the water in front of him or her. Just play it cool and keep fishing. Had my wife going forever. At least she wasnt bored. Sometimes throw several.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I put straight gas in my friends two stroke auger. He blew the darn thing up! It was so funny.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I put straight gas in my friends two stroke auger. He blew the darn thing up! It was so funny.

Glad I don’t have any “friends” like that

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.