Dewalt XRP vs. non-XRP Drill

• pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I am getting a new drill and am wondering if I should spend the extra money and get the XRP drill? Is it worth the extra money? I’m not using this for my career, etc.

F&F and Dewalt have $100 “cash for clunker” sale going right now, so I want to pull the trigger.

thanks,

Jeff

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

XRP is definately better but I switched to Bosch 18 volt Litheon and a vary sorry to say that I will not be going back to the black and yellow….. You get more than you pay for with the new bosch instead of getting a little less and spending more…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The XRP is much better. As far as Bosch vs Dewalt? I’ve used both and both are very nice. I have some buddies that swear by Dewalt and some that swear by Bosch, so again I think they’re both good units.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I use them for a living being a trin carpenter. I have DeWalts 18 volts. One of mine is 12 plus years old and still have one of it’s orgional batterys! Can’t believe it but it does. I’ll be replacing it this spring now (bat). I have 5 differant units and the XRP is the way to go for me because they interchange for me. Litiumn is the new better way now, I have not used them though. DeWalt / Bosch is a Ford /Chevy. Seems to just be prefferance. I would have to have them in my hand and in my holster to play with them to decide for myself. My $.02.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Is XRP worth the extra $70-$75 for me? Remember, I’m not feeding my family with this.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Jeff, if you’re going to do any home improvment I’d say it’s worth it. I don’t use mine everyday by any means, but when I need it it’s there and it lasts much longer than the reg batteries.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Is XRP worth the extra $70-$75 for me? Remember, I’m not feeding my family with this.

If you are wanting a Dewalt drill ,then YES worth the extra $$

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Im an electrician and hard on cordless tools. Ive had every brand over the years. Hands down buy dewalt they are the most durable for that price range. Hilti is where its at but they are like 2x the price. Also I dont know what the price diffrence is but lithium ion are worth the extra cash. The batterys charge in like 15 min. I think the xrp also has the hammerdrill its not the greatest but can help in a pinch. and I think the XRP come with the jacobs chuck. Should last forever if your not using it everyday. I thought the Xrp was a diffrent drill not just batterys.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

The XRP is more than than LI-ION. I wonder if you aren’t right about it being more than just the battery.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

xrp batteries will run alot longer. you can replace baterries to xrp later. I would bet 50% longer life. I have 10 -15 drill most are xrp. Depends on what you are using for basic home jobs not needed but nice. use alot then go for it.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

I don’t know about other drills, but I have an XRP and I love it.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would recomend if you can swing it i would buy the xrp or the li-on now,the batteries alone are spendy so i would buy them in the kit now, i just did the same thing traded in a old milwaukee drill and and bought a new dewalt impact driver and got the nano batteries and glad i spent the extra money

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have had Dewalts. If you do not plan to use it for everyday, the extra cash is problably not worth it. You will not get the run time out of them, but unless you are using it constantly, it should not be a big deal.

I purchased a Ridgid set about 4 years ago. They have a unlimited warranty on the drill and the batteries. I have been given 8 new batteries for free. Just bring them into a warranty location, and walk out with a new battery. When the batteries cost $75 each, that is a sweet deal, and when I finally trash the drill, they give me a new one

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.