4.3 vortech V-6 runability issue

• millerman
    Red Wing, MN

I picked up a 1997 S-10 with a 4.3 v-6 vortech engine. It is an automatic and when it is cold runs rough and has a miss to it. When it reaches operating temp it runs like a top. Wondering if anyone has had this problem and what was your solution? It has head and intake gaskets already.

Thanjks for the help in advance!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

when you gonna be up Everts again ? I can put my scanner on it and give you a better idea of the problem., it could be injector pack or distrib cap and rotor plug wires ect…,I could go on and on but the scanner will show how things are running. How long ago were the gaskets done and did they use factory GM ones?

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

the 5.3 vortech’s had issues with mass air flow sensors causing these problems, and also faulty intake gaskets.

both caused issues like you described.

mrwalleye
    MN

mass air flow sensors mine did the same last year

red89
    Hudson

For starters I would do some normal maintenance if it has not been done yet. New ac delco plugs and wires. New air filter/ fuel filter(don’t get a cheap one) My 97 s10 with a 2.2 ran like crap until i got new plugs and wires and fuel filter, but don’t buy cheap ones from fleet farm like I did, cause they go to junk really fast. And clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Does your check engine light work? I am thinking after driving it yesterday that an O2 sensor is bad, She ran just like my Blazer did when the O2 sensor was bad or wet.

jon_wbl

Check engine light on? Get codes checked if its on. If no codes I would start with tune-up parts. If you replace anything go OEM parts. Post if you have codes that would help.

predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

if plugs and wires haven’t been done in a while that could be the problem! had the same issue with my suburban and that seemed to fix it along with a cap and rotorbut if there is a check engine light on there could be more to it than that!

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

when you gonna be up Everts again ? I can put my scanner on it and give you a better idea of the problem., it could be injector pack

If it was injector pack wouldn’t run that way all the time? When it warms up it runs like a top. When are you planning on being at Everts?

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

mass air flow sensors mine did the same last year

He put one on before I got it.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

New:
    Cap
    rotor,
    intake gskt
    head gskt
    mass air flow sensor
    cat conv
    plugs

Will be installing genuine gm cap, rotor, wires and plugs.
    No lights on at this time!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.