Buy Toyota

• rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Jonny that’s right where I’m at

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Ron I made three big mistakes in my life:
    1) Not taking that job on the Marlin guide boat.
    2) A couple weddings
    3) Trading off my Toyota

I just looked back at my records, I traded a 1987 Toyota four runner with 439,000 miles on it off for a 1992 Tacoma with 62,000 spending $3,200 and ran it for seven years. The last two years I have 20k in trade ups and 6k in maintenance…I miss my Toyota.

big_g
    Isle, MN

You must be lucky….. one of my advisors has a Toyota truck… he has it back in the shop every other week replacing something….

big G

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Couple years back I had a 98 Tacoma. Frame rusted so bad it broke–all under normal driving conditions. The truck died with 113K on it. I drive vehicles into the ground, so I was just breaking it in.

A month later, I receive a letter stating that Toyota was extending the warrenty on the frames of 95-2000 Tacoma’s. Toyota wound up buying the truck back from me-at 2.5x kelly blue book value in excellent condition. They cut me a check that was for thousands more than I paid for it. When I was going through the paper work with the Toyota rep, he said that they expected to be writing roughly 800K of those checks.

Moral of the story is that Toyota took care of me big time. Although I’m driving an old POS Cherokee (best vehicle mopar ever put together), I still have faith in the Toyota company and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

On a side note…

the Tacoma is NOT a full size truck. I would hook up to the boat you plan to tow and find some hills and some rough road. You might be dissapointed. It doesn’t take much to bottom out the rear suspension, and mine (4 cylinder, 5 speed manual) was horribly underpowered.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i would never buy a toyota. my dad worked at GM for 22 years. i am currently driving his old 2000 silverado that has about 182000 miles on it and it runs perfectly. there has never been any major issues that have ever cost us a ton of money. besides GM and ford started the car industry. and why not support US based car makers when we are struggling to keep jobs. but i guess go with the best deal.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

I think what a lot of people are over looking is where is this country going . We used to take pride in made in the USA . That is no longer the case, the bottom line is “PROFIT” at any cost,maybe just maybe it’s time to re – connect with American made and put our poeple back to work. All I continue to see on this site is (I lost my job).Lets take a real hard look at where this country is going, write your congressman and tell then enough is enough, we put them in office and “WE CAN REMOVE THEM”………

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Quote:

i would never buy a toyota. my dad worked at GM for 22 years. i am currently driving his old 2000 silverado that has about 182000 miles on it and it runs perfectly. there has never been any major issues that have ever cost us a ton of money. besides GM and ford started the car industry. and why not support US based car makers when we are struggling to keep jobs. but i guess go with the best deal.

SO, I take your in school, driving a gift, never bought a vehicle. I ‘ve had fords for the past 30 years, new ones every 4 years. That’s longer than dad worked for Gm. Before your head was the size of a grape. Thanks for the advice

thebigd25
    st. paul

The Tacoma that rlamar is thinking about is made in the US by united auto workers. It has a lot more juice and gets better mileage than my Ranger.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

The U.S. government has a 61% stake in GM and 8% stake in Chrysler. Toyota is one of their biggest competitors. It’s in the government’s best interest to bash Toyota. I bought a Toyota in Nov-09 and love it.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

All companys have recalls. True. It’s how they handle them that counts. Toyota gave itself a black eye. I wouldn’t have bought one before the recalls I will buy nothing from any company, that puts a $ before the safety of my family. Period.

big G

You heard what the US government and those trying to revive the US economy wanted you to hear. Toyota = bad! I had 2 Explorers in the last 5 years that had some recall on them with the cruise and a fire hazard. Every time I got the letter I took it to the Ford dealership and they couldn’t even get the parts. Traded both of them in with out the fix ever being done. Don’t kid yourself Ford and GM sweep a lot of stuff under the rug too. By the way I just bought a new Ford F-150 and I love it!!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

My intent is certainly not to make anyone angery. My situation is, I am on disablity now, termanally ill. I have owned new Ford trucks for the past 30 years, I cannot buy a new Ford at 40 to 50K anymore. A new Toyota 4×4 all decked out I can buy for 28K right now. 17 – 21 mpg and it will pull my 16 1/2 ft boat. I like having a warranity, as I am not a mech. I thought they have been a very dependable truck in the past. But I am a little worried, and dollars and cents are key these days. Thanks guys

Ron,

I am not sure of what configuration you are looking at buying, but I would consider getting the longer wheelbase/crew cab with long bed. I think you will notice the truck behave a little better when hauling. And the extra space never hurts.

Good Luck,

FDR

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I have a Tacoma and its been a very reliable dependable pickup. No recalls and great re-sale. Its has the 4 cyl and when gas was high (which it will be again someday) several people offered to buy it from me. That little engine still pulls my boat!

JP

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Quote:

SO, I take your in school, driving a gift, never bought a vehicle. I ‘ve had fords for the past 30 years, new ones every 4 years. That’s longer than dad worked for Gm. Before your head was the size of a grape. Thanks for the advice

HA! this one made me laugh out loud.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

I placed a bet on Toyota stock last week. They make the most reliable autos in the world. The Govt propaganda will wear off in a few months.

igotone

Quote:

All companys have recalls. True. It’s how they handle them that counts. Toyota gave itself a black eye. I wouldn’t have bought one before the recalls I will buy nothing from any company, that puts a $ before the safety of my family. Period.

big G

You must not own anything
    There is not a company out there that is not after your dollars

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

big G

You must not own anything
    There is not a company out there that is not after your dollars

Yes, all companies are after your dollars… at what cost will they try to keep it… I draw the line at companies that deny/deflect and make up outright lies about self-accelerating cars, that have already killed. Some people on this thread, should subscribe to NADA and do some reading… then start typing….

big G

Bob Gordon
    Washington,IL

Nope !Buy a ford !

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I do find it disconcerting that the President of Toyota’s weak excuse was, “We grew too fast”, said between a few crocodile tears. Apparently in Japan the crying is some sort honorable display.

Would I buy a Toyota? Maybe. It was between a Dodge and Toyota pick up 2 years ago. All I care about is the ratings of everyday people and consumer reviews. With research, both were excellently rated, with an edge to Toyota. To me the slight gap was made up by knowing I would be driving a pick up truck with an American name on it. Yes, I know Toyota trucks are basically owned and built here, but you still get a Japanese name stamped on a Toyota. To me, pick up trucks are a symbol of America.

Cue the star spangled banner…

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I own a tundra and love it… one warning,parts are a little more money than others.as for the recall,detroit has a lot of pull in DC…

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Hey Ron. I have a 2008 Tundra with Boss V-plow. I have not had any problems with it and I take it everywhere. I can haul my Ice Castle to the lake and plow the road with the Castle in tow. Lots of power and comfortable. Every manufacturer has problems. Toyota is just getting more press time than the others.
    Arnie

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

One major thing that needs to be taken into account with reliability of vehicles is the maintenance. Too many times I see someone come into the shop with X brand of vehicle and have problem after problem only to find out they refuse to do the scheduled maintenance. Companies suggest this work as a means to increase the longevity of the vehicle.

If it were my money, I would certainly buy a Toyota truck. At the same time I know of many GM and Dodge trucks that pile up tons of miles, with good maintenance of course. Fords….not so much… I hate to “bash” one brand, but I tend to run into more problems and failures with Ford trucks then any other brand, and they seem to wear much quicker than GM, Toyota, Dodge.

Have you ever thought about checking into Nissan or even Suzuki (actually a Nissan with Suzuki skin).

One more thing regarding the Toyota gas pedal problems. If you have time to get on the phone, call 911 and say your car is speeding down the highway at 100+mph, don’t you have time to push a lever into the “N” position. I’m guessing most of these cars have “push button ignition” so turning a key off may not work, but even if you put the vehicle into neutral and the engine slams off the rev limiter and fails, at least you are still alive and you will end up with a fixed vehicle. Kind of shows the ignorance of some people today that don’t really understand vehicles…

hnd

Quote:

big G

so you won’t be buying another car period then…okie dokie.

hnd

Quote:

Quote:

Of course I would buy a Toyota. If you are letting the recall hold you down, better stay away from GM products, as they are recalling 1.3M cars due to steering problems.

So, what is the lesser evil, a car that won’t stop or a car you can’t steer!

Do you even know what the GM recall is for ??? You lose power steering… something that used to be an option… The issue with the small GM vehicles is it will have no steering assist 15 mph and below… the thing is, GM didn’t try to blame it on floor mats. and then brag about it on internal memos…

big G

gm currently has over 10,000 recalls on their products. my wifes car had a recall on it because the brakes would warp and stopping distance increased almost 100%. but thats nothing.

hnd

Quote:

I think what a lot of people are over looking is where is this country going . We used to take pride in made in the USA . That is no longer the case, the bottom line is “PROFIT” at any cost,maybe just maybe it’s time to re – connect with American made and put our poeple back to work. All I continue to see on this site is (I lost my job).Lets take a real hard look at where this country is going, write your congressman and tell then enough is enough, we put them in office and “WE CAN REMOVE THEM”………

apparently you aren’t aware that toyota employs more people in the US than ford or GM.

herb
    6ft under

My only comment will be;
    “If what you just said is true, I think it’s pretty damned sad for this country when a foreign automaker can move here and employ more U.S. citizens than any of our own American automakers.”

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

apparently you aren’t aware that toyota employs more people in the US than ford or GM.

BS flag….. point out where you got this info… I will be waiting…

big G

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course I would buy a Toyota. If you are letting the recall hold you down, better stay away from GM products, as they are recalling 1.3M cars due to steering problems.

So, what is the lesser evil, a car that won’t stop or a car you can’t steer!

Do you even know what the GM recall is for ??? You lose power steering… something that used to be an option… The issue with the small GM vehicles is it will have no steering assist 15 mph and below… the thing is, GM didn’t try to blame it on floor mats. and then brag about it on internal memos…

big G

gm currently has over 10,000 recalls on their products. my wifes car had a recall on it because the brakes would warp and stopping distance increased almost 100%. but thats nothing.

Did GM blame the floor mats ???

big G

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

My only comment will be;
    “If what you just said is true, I think it’s pretty damned sad for this country when a foreign automaker can move here and employ more U.S. citizens than any of our own American automakers.”

They wouldn’t be able to if people wouldn’t buy them.

They may employ lots or Americans and have a lot of American investors, still there is a good chunk of money siphoned from our economy to Japan because of it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I knew someone was talking out of their … a quick check…

Americans employed…

Toyota employs directly = 33,400
    indirectly = 163,700

GM employs directly = 194,000
    indirectly = 706,000

Man, you were a little off…

big G

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Haven’t we wore out this topic in the other threads?

I’m sure this is all changing Ron’s, and mine for that matter, mind on buying a toyota.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.