Buy Toyota

• rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I am thinking about buying a Toyota Tacoma 2010. Would you buy one with all the recall, bad press, etc?

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Just make sure you know where N is and how to hit the Parking brake at 90+MPH

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Two of my friends recently bought Toyota trucks and they’re pretty upset. They claim the resale is in the tank right now? It’s hard to say how long it will take for them to recover. I guess if you’re buying used you might actually do Ok. But to answer your question, probably not.

I agree with James though you can’t let a recall be the only reason you don’t buy a certain brand.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If they quit making Suburbans or Yukons, I would think about it.

I’d consider buying my wife one though.

red89
    Hudson

I would. Were there any recalls on the toyota truck line? I would look into where the vehicles that were recalled were produced and where they produce the trucks. See if you can find any differences. Sadly toyota seems to have lost their dependability reputation due to this. I’m hoping somebody will want to trade me their tacoma for my truck.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Warranty is warranty. If you like it buy it.

re-tired
    wi

Tacoma has not been recalled. I have a’09 that’s excellent.

big_g
    Isle, MN

All companys have recalls. True. It’s how they handle them that counts. Toyota gave itself a black eye. I wouldn’t have bought one before the recalls I will buy nothing from any company, that puts a $ before the safety of my family. Period.

big G

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

I’d consider buying my wife one though.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Of course I would buy a Toyota. If you are letting the recall hold you down, better stay away from GM products, as they are recalling 1.3M cars due to steering problems.

So, what is the lesser evil, a car that won’t stop or a car you can’t steer!

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Two of my friends recently bought Toyota trucks and they’re pretty upset. They claim the resale is in the tank right now?

I am pretty sure all truck resale values have been in the tank for some time. Some may be more than others but they all pretty much suck. I was looking at trading in my 4 y/o f-150 a month ago and the trade in offers I was given made me decide to drive her and buy a new boat instead

wmahnke
    Eau Claire, WI

the thing that most of you are not realizing is just like james said you can not buyor not buy just because of recalls if you all only knew that you ford, dodge, gm, and all the rest put the all mighty DOLLAR before any thing else if they can get away with anything they will their have been many of these situations that should have been recalled that never do and never even make it public they cover it under warranty and say it was a fluke. happens every day in all car companys

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Of course I would buy a Toyota. If you are letting the recall hold you down, better stay away from GM products, as they are recalling 1.3M cars due to steering problems.

Do you even know what the GM recall is for ??? You lose power steering… something that used to be an option… The issue with the small GM vehicles is it will have no steering assist 15 mph and below… the thing is, GM didn’t try to blame it on floor mats. and then brag about it on internal memos…

big G

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

I have no problem with recalls they happen. But still not buying a Toyota.

a1a

I don’t know how deep Mr. Toyota’s pockets are, but consider this….8 million vehicles recalled in the US alone, probably close to that many more worldwide, not to mention the folly of lawsuits that will be coming up as a result of all of this. I gotta believe each of these shop visits is costing Toyota a minimum of $200…do the math! If you trust a company can take a hit like that and be around to take care of you for the life of your vehicle go ahead and take the chance. Consider also that these recalls are going to take priority over anything you might need to get done with your truck. If it was me I’d let things shake out and see what happens, but then I’m not much of a risk taker.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

the thing that most of you are not realizing is just like james said you can not buyor not buy just because of recalls if you all only knew that you ford, dodge, gm, and all the rest put the all mighty DOLLAR before any thing else if they can get away with anything they will their have been many of these situations that should have been recalled that never do and never even make it public they cover it under warranty and say it was a fluke. happens every day in all car companys

You are mis-informed beyond belief….

big G

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

My wife has a GM product that’s being recalled for the same thing as the Toyotas. As a matter of fact, her car is basically a Toyota with a GM tag on it. There’s an awful lot of cross-branding out there.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

If your at the point of ‘I absolutely want this truck’, and it happens to be the Tacoma 2010, then buy it. Simple as that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Actually the recall is less than a .5 repair (1/2 hour) so if the shops warranty rate is $90/hr, that would be max labor at $45 and I would guess that the little steel bar is priced at about $1.00. So that’s $46 per fix, plus any “freebees they throw in”(It is amazing how cheap parts get, when they turn into “recall” parts)

big G

whiskeyandwater
    ????

likely buying one in May

it’s between that and an F-150

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

All companys have recalls. True. It’s how they handle them that counts. Toyota gave itself a black eye. I wouldn’t have bought one before the recalls I will buy nothing from any company, that puts a $ before the safety of my family. Period.

big G

I agree Big G, other US automakers have not been real quick to admit to safety problems from recall in the past and were caught just like Toyota. People were burned/killed when Ford had faulty gas tank installations years ago. Then there was the Ford/Firestone tire scandal which resulted in accidents with injuries.

I have been driving an 04 F150 for about 2 years and put over $1,000 into brake problems so far…but it wasn’t a new truck…but it was a certified used one that I am still arguing with.

I had good luck with several Chevys, but the 05 Tundra was probably the best truck I have owned do far… I would buy another if ever I could afford one.

As a consumer you have the right to buy or not.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you hurry… you may be able to get in on that steal of a deal on that Aluminum Ranger…

big G

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Two of my friends recently bought Toyota trucks and they’re pretty upset. They claim the resale is in the tank right now? It’s hard to say how long it will take for them to recover. I guess if you’re buying used you might actually do Ok. But to answer your question, probably not.

I agree with James though you can’t let a recall be the only reason you don’t buy a certain brand.

Joe,

your friends don’t happen to have 4×4 with Double cabs do they? If so have them give me a call. Re-sale in the tank? I would say anything but. I can’t find anything down to 2005 with under 75K and I can’t find them for under $22K So considering I can buy new loaded for under $30K I’m looking at going the new route. So really if your buddies want to drop theirs and they meet my requirements. feel free to send them my way.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

I don’t do either anyways! Heck of deal eh?!

Best trucks I have ever owned where made by Toyota and I am going back to them after two american trucks with NON-STOP trouble. Just dumped another $600 into my F150 yesterday for a rear main seal, two weeks ago it was bad coil packs for $500, last month it was a thermostat and an alternator, Christmass it dumped the oil pan gasket. The truck before that needed coil packs, a 4×4 switch, lock out hubs and water pump all in four month window before it went to Davey Jone’s locker. My old Tacoma had 342,000 miles and needed one water pump when I traded it and it spent most of its life pulling around a 20′ Stratos.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

My intent is certainly not to make anyone angery. My situation is, I am on disablity now, termanally ill. I have owned new Ford trucks for the past 30 years, I cannot buy a new Ford at 40 to 50K anymore. A new Toyota 4×4 all decked out I can buy for 28K right now. 17 – 21 mpg and it will pull my 16 1/2 ft boat. I like having a warranity, as I am not a mech. I thought they have been a very dependable truck in the past. But I am a little worried, and dollars and cents are key these days. Thanks guys

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

One good thing Ron is now a guy can deal on a Toyota a little better. I am thinking about using all the bad press for leverage when I trade.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Do it Ron It sounds like it’s the perfect fit for you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.