Drift sock

• gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

So I was watching some of my DVR’d fishing shows from the weekend and noticed one was drifting with a sock. He had what I would guess 20 ft of rope out. When I use them I keep them at 6 ft due to the fact if we hook a big fish you are more likely to be able to steer it around the sock boat side. My question is what length rope do most use? And what are the reasons?

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i just use the 6-7ft strap it came with.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I have fished with guys (Touring Pros)that also use long ropes. They did it to get it away from the boat so they would not get tangled in the sock and be able to fight a fish without the sock so close.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I use at least 10 of rope. Keeps the sock out of your way when landing fish.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll genarally carry 3 socks in my boat. Small, med and large. I use the single large one 90% of the time. About 10 feet of rope out to the sock. On the other 2, they have about 20 foot of rope. This allows you to “stack” the socks one behind the other and tied off to the same cleat. Used this set up on very windy days.

-J.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have a couple socks I use and they are both tied off over 10′ away from the boat. Since good walleyes “usually” stay down by the time you get them to the surface you are inside the sock and can land them easily.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Ok I can understand the stacking thing. We have run 3 socks with 3 guys on a sideways drift all seperated along the side of the boat. With the shorter ropes if the boat starts to pivot any there isnt any tangle with ropes and have never had issues with landing either cuz you stick the rod out and steer your line/fish over/around the sock. With excess rope you have to fight the fish to bring it back under. Do you think it is more effective at slowing te boat down farther out?

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Most of the time I only worry about socks when my feet get sunburnt through the holes in my clog shoes!
    Did snag a driftsock once on Banana reef. Same place Duane L’s expensive one slipped off the cleat. Same kind of sock.
    Different size and color.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I have fished with guys (Touring Pros)that also use long ropes. They did it to get it away from the boat so they would not get tangled in the sock and be able to fight a fish without the sock so close.

Absolutely Rob!

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

I use drift socks to stabilize the boat in windy conditions when I am anchored fishing for cats or sturgeon. No way can I have a long rope. Those big bruisers don’t need something to tangle in and there is no way to control them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.