Strikemaster MP-1025 – Broken cord

• weldon
    Rochester, Mn

Bought a Strikemaster MP-1025 Auger this weekend, as I have depended on friend’s equipment for drilling for some time.

After filling with 2 cycle fuel, primed and started on about 2nd pull.

20 mins later, a buddy and I were out the ice, I started it again… same great start. Put a couple of test holes in the ice, then checked them for fish and chose our location.

After which, started it a 3rd time. Again started great, but once we completed drilling 3 holes for the shelter, I set it aside and noticed the pull cord hanging 3″ out of the power unit. Thinking that this was poor retraction of the cord, I reached down and pulled it completely out of the unit. Broken off about 4″ from the pull handle.

I can’t see how it could have broken during the pull start and still have retracted, but also did not notice anything like a backfire or anything unusual that I would have thought about to cause a break.

The quality of the cord used for the pull start looks to be a cotton (or something) woven cord. Has anyone else heard of anyone having this kind of rotten luck?

Will return it to Fleet Farm, where I bought it, but am having 2nd thoughts about having the same unit. It was new out of the box. I’m thinking that unless the pull cord is changed to nylon cord or something that is much better quality, that the next unit will do that same.

I don’t think anyone buying a new unit expect failure this quickly or would want to be out on the lake and have this kind of failure, so am very disappointed with Strikemaster’s choice in cord material.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Strikemaster will take care of you in a day or two..great company and warranty service. Give them a call tomorrow morning and you’ll be happy with what they do for you. Unfortunately all materials in these augers and engines come from other suppliers and even the best of them has a Quality defect once in a while. You’ll love your auger…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What Frank said!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Weldon,

As far as I know that’s the same/similar kind of rope used on all augers. Give SM a call tomorrow AM. Like the other said, they’ll have a new one out to you in a couple days and replacement is 4 screws out, remove recoil, 4 screws back in to complete the job. Shouldn’t take you more then 3 minutes and you’ll be back in the game.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I heard this is a video on their website instructing how to lube the coils as the original lube used where the engines were manufactured was not made for Minnesota weather. My buddy tried and said it worked like a charm. Best to do this soon before the cord gets torn up by the rotation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.