Muskie pioneer Jack Burns passed away.

• wooly bugger
    SE Minnesota

Just thought I’d share a sad note on the passing of a notable fisherman. Jack Burns was a notable muskie angler and author, and of course family man and friend to many. Sadly he was killed in a snowmobile accident this past weekend. Thanks to him and all he contributed in his life, and thoughts and prayers with those he left behind.

Duluth news article

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

The man was truly gifted and wrote on heck of an article no matter what subject he was on. The esox community, his family and freinds lost a great man.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I am so deeply saddened to hear about this. Back in the late 70’s I went to tech school at NEI in Minneapolis, where I met Jack and we discovered a mutual interest in fishing. Jack and I would rent a boat and get out fishing 2 or 3 times a week, usually on Lake Elmo. We drifted apart after school other than meeting up occasionally on the water. In 1996 I went to work for Fisher-Rosemount in Burnsville. Much to my surprise and delight, I stumbled across Jack in the lunchroom one day. He was working there as a Tech writer. There were many afternoons where we didn’t get a lot done as we were involved in deep technical discussions about fish location or leader design. Eventually Jack left to work on Esox magazine, and I took employment elsewhere. Here’s the kind of guy Jack was: Now understand that he was a very good Musky fisherman and that he worked hard at it. He drove up to the NW Angle on LOTW almost every weekend of the season. At this point he told me he had put over 70 Muskies in the boat 50 inches or better. Hanging on the wall in my cube was a picture of me holding a 49 inch Muskie on I caught on Cedar Lake (the one North of Somerset, WI). Jack saw the picture and went on and on about what a great catch that was. I interrupted him and pointed out he had caught dozens of bigger fish. He replied “Sure, 800 miles from here on LOTW under optimum circumstances. You caught that fish near the Cities where the pressure is a lot higher”. That was Jack, he never got a swelled head no matter how successful he was.

My thoughts and prayers to his family today.

Rootski

Bob Bowman
    MN

I never got the chance to meet Jack but learned a lot over the years through reading. Jack was a wealth of knowledge and knew the game well.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this very difficult time.

Godspeed!

wooly bugger
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I am so deeply saddened to hear about this. Back in the late 70’s I went to tech school at NEI in Minneapolis, where I met Jack and we discovered a mutual interest in fishing. Jack and I would rent a boat and get out fishing 2 or 3 times a week, usually on Lake Elmo. We drifted apart after school other than meeting up occasionally on the water. In 1996 I went to work for Fisher-Rosemount in Burnsville. Much to my surprise and delight, I stumbled across Jack in the lunchroom one day. He was working there as a Tech writer. There were many afternoons where we didn’t get a lot done as we were involved in deep technical discussions about fish location or leader design. Eventually Jack left to work on Esox magazine, and I took employment elsewhere. Here’s the kind of guy Jack was: Now understand that he was a very good Musky fisherman and that he worked hard at it. He drove up to the NW Angle on LOTW almost every weekend of the season. At this point he told me he had put over 70 Muskies in the boat 50 inches or better. Hanging on the wall in my cube was a picture of me holding a 49 inch Muskie on I caught on Cedar Lake (the one North of Somerset, WI). Jack saw the picture and went on and on about what a great catch that was. I interrupted him and pointed out he had caught dozens of bigger fish. He replied “Sure, 800 miles from here on LOTW under optimum circumstances. You caught that fish near the Cities where the pressure is a lot higher”. That was Jack, he never got a swelled head no matter how successful he was.

My thoughts and prayers to his family today.

Rootski

Those are some great memories Rootski, thanks for sharing. Like Bob, I never had a chance to meet Jack; but tried to read every book or article from him I was able to. His writings have really made me a better fisherman, and I am indebted to him for that. Prayers to all those close to him.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.