PDA question

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a IBM WorkPad c500 that I am having trouble with. The problem is with the PDA reading the SD card. The card is new and a 2GB. The information I am putting on the card is from a CD and I have been able to transfer that data to the SD card. But, when I put the card in the PDA, it shows nothing on the card. I have formatted the card through the PDA.

What am a possibly doing wrong here?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’d guess it’s not a supported file type, do you have a media player or music player on the PDA? If so I’d try to find the files through that program, otherwise rerip the music to another format and try again, if that doesn’t work see if you can find a online forum for help, I’ll be there’s info out there somewhere.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

No music or media player that I know of.

The files I am trying to put on are things like drip rates for IV’s, drug calculations, drug dictionary, and a bunch of other medical related info. I got it used a while back and am now needing to get the info transferred that came with the PDA on a seperate CD.
    It is frustrating as hell!!!!

PowerFred

Can’t you get all that info through Epocrates or som other medical website? My wife uses Epocrates and just uses the e-sync mode to update it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I did find the Epocrates site and it has some info that I can use.
    The problem I think I am having is the files I have are compressed into Zip files. I have so far downloaded WinZip, but still having problems.
    I am still working on figuring out how to use the computer and sync through there. The problem there is, the port I need to hook the PDA to the computer is the same one as my monitor and I only have one port like that.
    I am also still trying to see if there is a download that I need on the PDA that will allow it to read the unzipped files.
    I am definitely not very technologically advanced. I can keep someone alive but I can’t work a PDA

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

TTT one more time just in case there is a techie out there that has some experience with these things. I still have not found the way to use my PDA.
    If it matters, it is a IBM WorkPad c500. As far as I know the OS version is the Palm v.4.0
    I must not be very good at performing searches because I keep coming up empty.
    Any additional ideas out there? I was hoping to have it up and running by tomorrow, but I don’t think it is going to happen

jd318
    NE Nebraska

AmWatson,

The port you are referring to is not the same as the monitor. The monitor is probably a VGA port while the port you need for the PDA is probably a serial port. Many newer computers do not have a serial port anymore. You can get a USB/Serial adapter that may work.

As far as your card…are you sure the data is on the card? Can you view the data using something other than the PDA?

If so, does this data need to be zipped or can you unzip and then put it on the card so that it may be read with on the PDA?

If you can’t see the data on the card, does the card have a “lock” on the side that you can flip to unlock and then try to save the data again.

JD

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’ll do some looking when I got some free time,

Can’t you unzip the files before you move them on the SD card?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Many newer computers do not have a serial port anymore. You can get a USB/Serial adapter that may work.

I will have to check into the adapter because my new machine doesn’t have the right connection.

Quote:

Can you view the data using something other than the PDA?

I am able to open the card from the computer and it shows the files I transferred on it.

Quote:

If so, does this data need to be zipped or can you unzip and then put it on the card so that it may be read with on the PDA?

I downloaded WinZip and unzipped one of the files to see if it made a difference and still no go.

Quote:

If you can’t see the data on the card, does the card have a “lock” on the side that you can flip to unlock and then try to save the data again.

I did have some earlier issues with the lock on the card. If it was in one position, it gave me a “read only” message.

Some things I have heard is there needs to be some type of reader files on the PDA. The other is that my SD card may be too large. It is only a 2GB.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.