Buying a used boat and motor in winter

• primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

This isn’t an ideal time of year but I see a couple units that seem to be priced right by people who have to sell for economic reaseons. My biggest concern is the motors how to check and what to look for when I can’t actually put them in the water and run them. I am not a mechanic..

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

If you have a friend that has a heated garage either put a set of muffs on them or fill a trash can with water! at least you can start them. better than taking as is!!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

This isn’t an ideal time of year but I see a couple units that seem to be priced right by people who have to sell for economic reaseons. My biggest concern is the motors how to check and what to look for when I can’t actually put them in the water and run them. I am not a mechanic..

Go look at the boats and make the deal contingent on seeing the motor running. (maybe share this expense.) Take it to a local dealer and have them check the motor in the shop. Should be able to do it in less then a hour. If it has a chip have them scan that also, it will tell you everything you need to know about how the motor was treated.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Sounds like a great excuse for a road trip. fishing trip, check the boat out trip, farther south.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Check with a dealer in the area. They usually have some type of used boat inspection they can do for less than $100. If the boat is really nice and you want it, see if the seller would split the inspection cost with you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.