Using the gill pill

• SHONW

I’ve been ice fishing for years. Mostly for crappies and walleyes once and awhile. I’ve been using and having good success with diamond jigs as well as other styles when using waxies. After seeing all of adds for the gill pill I decided to try them out yesterday. Are these supposed to hang vertical or horizontal? No matter what I did they seemed to hang at about a 45 degree angle.

Thanks for any input

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

yeahp thats what their suppost to do is hang at a 45. just use them like that and you will be slaying the craps, gills and perch. they are my go to jig and i’ve even tested them side by side with the other jigs and the fish were just slamming the gill pill i got my dad to use them too and he’s doing just as well.

SHONW

Thanks!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Make sure and give the black and white ones a try. Another tip is to bend the hooks out a little and off to the side.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Make sure and give the black and white ones a try. Another tip is to bend the hooks out a little and off to the side.

Oh yea

I’d add that these are a super shallow to mid-depth jig. When hitting the early backwaters ice these are a bonus lure.

Some people seem to prefer a horizontal jig over a vertical one and then there are times where one will out-produce the other. The Gill Pill offers a blend of both with the way the jig hangs.

Try breaking the first body segment and tail off from a replacement ratso or shrimpo body and slipping the hook thru just that ball portion with the tail straight back while using a Pill. Deadly and no bait needed to get it to work.

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

Which size is best for gills? Then which size for crappies?

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.