Computer question

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

My in-laws Internet Explorer is giving them the below error message any time they open it. Selecting either option closes internet explorer completely. I have three questions:

1) Is there a fix that doesn’t require IE to be open?

2) If there isn’t a fix, what options do I have to connect to the internet to download a new browser?

3) If there is not another way to open the internet, can I download Firefox to a CD from my computer and install it on their computer?

Lars

tuffyboone
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Most of the time that message is the result of not closing IE before powering down the computer and not a reason for concern. Firefox works the same way.

If you select Go To Homepage does it proceed to the page?

As far as installing Firefox, you can save the install file from the Mozilla webpage to CD, USB drive, or any portable media and install it on the computer. I always keep a copy on my USB drive just in case.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I installed “Log me in” (free version) so I can trouble shoot and help inlaws and parents from my computer at home.

Like the previous posts I don’t think you really have a problem, IE should work fine, and you should be able to DL firefox with IE.

I would question them and make sure they are closing things down properly.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have to agree LogMeIn is the best home support solution I have found. I have been using it over 2 years now. I help out all of my family and my wife’s family with it.

LogMeIn.com

If you do use it be sure to choose the free version.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Great tip. I’m going to put that on a flash drive immediately.

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

Like the previous posts I don’t think you really have a problem, IE should work fine, and you should be able to DL firefox with IE.

Choosing either option closes IE completely (checked via applications in the task manager). Trying to reopen it results in the same error. I’ve had them shut down numerous times as well, but the problem persists.

My guess is that there is something still floating around in the processes, but I don’t have a clue how to single out the culprit.

I’m going to try to install Firefox from a CD and see what happens.

Another option would be to do a system restore from Saturday. Nothing should be lost since they only use the computer for the internet. Are there any negatives to this?

Thanks,
    Lars

complex12
    Madison Wi

Quote:

I’m going to try to install Firefox from a CD and see what happens.

That should do it for you.

Quote:

Another option would be to do a system restore from Saturday… Are there any negatives to this?

Outside of it being a serious pain in the butt, no.
    You should be fine with the FF option… there’s no reason to want to use IE anyway, except that it’s initial load speed is quite a bit better. Other than that, it’s useless in terms of security.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Complex12 is right… IE isn’t anything special and Firefox should be a perfectly good replacement. It should even import bookmarks and stuff from IE during the install process.

The thing that concerns me is that the problem is occurring in the first place… it’s not supposed to do that and just leaving it there is kinda like saying “Well my truck has a pretty bad miss, but I cant figure it out. Oh well, I’ll just run high-octane this weekend and not worry about it.”

It’s also pretty much that hard to diagnose from here, too.

Have you run Windows Update to make sure there aren’t any patches for Windows or IE that they’re missing? There seem to be a LOT of bugs out there for IE-related issues revolving around the whole crash-recovery system (which is what you’re seeing).

You might try searching or posting here for more able assistance: MS Social Assistance pages (MS employees do seem to monitor those forums, and they have IE-specfic sections).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.