Is this a good deal on a marcum?

• tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I have a offer to buy a marcum lx-5 for $300.00, its 2 yrs old,2000 watt model, good condition. this would be a up grade from my fl-8, is this worth it? thanks

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can’t comment on price as the bottom dropped out on the Marcums last winter. However, going from the FL8 to and LX5 is a huge upgrade. Did the same thing myself last year. You’ll be very happy.

Just an uneducated guess, but $300 is probably just a little high for a 2 year old unit in my opinion.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Like Kooty said, it’ll be a marked improvement if you decide to pull the trigger. At the same time, if you were considering buying new, retail this year is $449. For an extra $150, you’ll be getting a little bit more power, but also the auto-tune technology new in last year’s (and current models) offering.

Because of variances in every transducer ceramic (196-202kHz), matching the transmitter output to the transducer had always been a task. The auto-tune feature not only cinches up the play in target frequency, it aids in preventing tuning issues over time. All of which sounds overly technical, and isn’t something you’ll notice working in the background. However, esp. for people that need to develop trust in their sonar (is that a fish or isn’t it?), this feature ensures better sensitivity, finer resolution/accuracy, and as an added bonus helps to filter out clutter and enhance interference-rejection.

If you were thinking about attending the ice-show, I know Thorne Bros. typically teams up with the Marcum guys to offer a show-special.

Good luck, you’ll be happy with either decision!

Joel

red89
    Hudson

Too bad you missed out on that Reeds Sports deal they had this spring. I got mine for $300 brand new, and I know alot of other Ido members did too as the forums were covered in it. I personally would rather find a new one, but I don’t know if and when they will be down to $300 again. That would still be a good unit as long as it works good though, but maybe you could talk it down a bit.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

but I don’t know if and when they will be down to $300 again.

There’s no chance this will happen again. It was a one time deal.

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I pulled the trigger on it.. should be getting it today.. thanks for the info..

DSchuss

Regular retail this year looks like $449.99. Just F.Y.I. Scheels will be retailing them at $399.99 until supplies last.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.