Winneconne/Wolf River

• holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Hey Badger fans. Next week I’ll be taking good ole Dad to Winneconne to fish Wolf River and lakes in the area. We will be looking for eyes and white bass. Any news about the bite would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The water temps are going down, so there should be some fish in the river and upper lakes by then. The flow going up would be a big deal. If the flow is up a bit, you should be able to find fish near the bridges (especially the ones farther downstream, near the main lake). The 41 bridge is usually a good spot for the start of the cooler weather.

I’d also troll Butte Des Mortes for a mix of eyes and whites. Troll from the first big cane bed in the middle of the lake, north east along the can line. There should be some fish in that stretch. #5 shad raps 13-25′ behind the boards. Try both bright and natural colors. I’d start with Hot Tiger on one rod, and baby Walleye on for sure.

If the water goes up a good amount, you may even find some fish in the cane beds. I’d stick to Butte and the river from there down for now.

Good Luck

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Thanks wimwuen. The cabin I rented is very close to the 41 bridge. I’ll plan on working that area and down to include Butte. Have some of the cranks you recommend, plus a nice variety to give a whirl. Might try doing some night trolling for eyes with a jig plastic rig. I’ll let you know how we do. Thanks again.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

No problem. Also keep the mouth of the main lake in mind, sometimes there can be a good trolling bite going down there.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

There is also a good stretch when you come out of the lake into the river channel heading into Winneconne from Butte des Mortes. There is a 20 foot slot on the curve that can hold a fair amount of fish.

I was up a week or two ago and pulled boards between the cane beds and the 41 bridge. Lots of goats and 4 pike, but only a couple eyes. There was a ton of boat traffic that day.

lindy rigging or jigging the area around the 41 bridge can be really good as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.