Jigs

• NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Hey all,
    I just got my new jig mold, and I can’t wait to start pouring my very own jigs. My question is, “Is painting jigs critical to catching fish”?
    Tell me what you think…

Thanks,
    Noel

jhalfen

Sometimes!

In stained water, I have a lot of confidence in a few select colors.

Some of B-Fish-N tackle’s patterns, including their tiger patterns, are particular favorites.

B-Fish-N tackle precision jigs

In the ultra-clear waters of winter, I catch a lot of fish on black or unpainted jigs.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Sometimes!

In stained water, I have a lot of confidence in a few select colors.

Some of B-Fish-N tackle’s patterns, including their tiger patterns, are particular favorites.

B-Fish-N tackle precision jigs

In the ultra-clear waters of winter, I catch a lot of fish on black or unpainted jigs.

Dead on statement right there

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If your going to be pouring a hundred or less at a time, I urge you to take the time to learn how to use the powder paints. They are simple and easy once you get the hang of it. I picked up a double rack George Foreman rotissorie oven for the garage to bake them in. Bakes about 200 to 50 at a time depending what style and size. The powder paints are awesome quality paints that last. Also,you can make a powder fluffer out of PVC pipe, coffee filter, and an aquarium pump for about $25.00. They run about $100 to $125 otherwise.
    BTW – welcome to the DIY world. Don’t be fooled that you’ll save money by making them yourselves. You will just find more ways to spend money on more stuff. LMAO I just got my order of skirt material in so i can crank out another couple hundred swim jigs and a lot of new color combinations to play with.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

If your going to be pouring a hundred or less at a time, I urge you to take the time to learn how to use the powder paints. They are simple and easy once you get the hang of it. I picked up a double rack George Foreman rotissorie oven for the garage to bake them in. Bakes about 200 to 50 at a time depending what style and size. The powder paints are awesome quality paints that last. Also,you can make a powder fluffer out of PVC pipe, coffee filter, and an aquarium pump for about $25.00. They run about $100 to $125 otherwise.
    BTW – welcome to the DIY world. Don’t be fooled that you’ll save money by making them yourselves. You will just find more ways to spend money on more stuff. LMAO I just got my order of skirt material in so i can crank out another couple hundred swim jigs and a lot of new color combinations to play with.

For the beginner, this sums it up well. I’d just add to enjoys what you’re doing and don’t get to fussed up about how your first attempts look….nothing in nature is perfect and an awful lot of imperfect critters end up as food for the fishes.

Jason offers some sound advice for color preferences.

Enjoy your new hobby.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Unless you enjoy fumes and working in your garage over a hot pot, you simply can’t beat BFT precision and draggin jigs they are not that expensive. I looked into making sinkers one year and you can buy them on catfish connection cheaper than you can make them. The bait keeper that is on there is worth every penny and good luck making that work in your garage.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

The bait keeper that is on there is worth every penny and good luck making that work in your garage.

Los Ojos….

Send me a pm if you want a picture or two on how to make this plastics/bait keeper. Simple, cheap, and like he says, effective. I know several home casters who make and use these keepers….one even posted in this thread.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.