Best Kitchen Cutlery?

• TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

So I am in the market for a new set of kitchen knives. The $10 Ginsu set I bought at Menards 8 years ago is ready to go in the trash. So I started at Cabelas where I have a coupon and points to use up and wow, I got confused as to what to do. Prices are all over the board, you can spend $30 or over $1000.

What is good out there and are there any thoughts on the best knive for the money spent? I was originaly thinking about spending around $250.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like you already have your mind made up to buy a premium set. I’m sure you will be happy with your choice. I can only vouch for Chicago Cutlery. Not expensive but mine are going on 15 years. I must ocasionally oil the handles but I really like wood so I would buy this set now if I needed one.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I am not sure if $250 or less would be considered premiume anymore with some of the sets I have seen out there for over that mark. Many of them are over the $500 mark and go even higher. I thought $250 was going to buy a good set now I don’t know?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Well if it only puts you into a set of CC’s who will not be dissapointed.

whittsend

Chicago makes some nice knives, but also makes some cheaper (aka not-worth-it) knives… I have one Chicago brand knife that I love, and got a set of the cheap version for Xmas a few years back.. I never use the cheaper version cause they are… well… cheap.

I bought a Wusthof santoku knife for myself last year… Friggin awesome…. Makes you turn you nose up at anything else. Slicing my xmas prime rib was like cutting through warm butter, and chopping veggies is sooo much easier…

http://www.wusthof.com/en/database3.asp?id=313

Whatever brand you go with, I would gladly take one higher end knive like the Wusthof that I use over a whole blockful of lesser quality knives. No question. There might be higher quality brands than Wusthof (?), but I’ve been very happy with mine. There are also various levels of quality from each manufacturer, so choose wisely.. If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

“A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife”

Mike

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

High end I like Wustoff. My parents have a nice set of them and they are fantastic. Get em on sale though. As for mine I have a set of Kitchen Aid Knives and they work great and keep and edge good too.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Cutco has been a round a long time and has a great warranty. I really like the feel of them in my hand. They are made in the US, Pennsylvania I believe. I personally own Wustof. They have held up to my abuse, but do require sharpening often. But this is standard for most knives. If I had known about Cutco before buying my current set I would have probably ended up buying the Cutcos.

They are not cheap though. I would suggest only buying what you really need. There is no reason to buy and spend big money on the “BEST” steak knives for example.

Good Luck,

FDR

whittsend

I might present the option of piece-mealing a set over the years… Start with one, two, or three really quality knives, and add another knife each year as you gain Cabelas points if you find the need. You’ll probably find (like I have) that one or two (very) quality kitchen knives will do 99% of everything you need to do in the kitchen.

Add a set of relatively inexpensive steak knives if you want, and you are all set. My knife sets just take up space in my kitchen right now. A wood block or magnet strip with room for one knife is really all I need to hold the knife that I use 99% of the time. Throw the rest in a drawer somewhere.

“One knife to rule them all….”

whittsend

p.s….

Look into that santoku style of knife… Talk about all-around usefulness!!! Only one I use anymore!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

My fisrt choice would be cutco, and second choice would be chicago Cutlury. Have had good luck with both brands

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have 2 knives I use exclusively… both Chicago Cutlery. I bought a 7″, around $59.00 …. and then had to have a 9″…. last knives I believe I will ever have to buy.

big G

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

I completely agree w/ Whittsend. You’ll be much happier if you go but one or two nice knives over an entire block full of cheaper knifes. A good santoku/chefs knife is key. Wusthof, as mentioned before, will run you about $100-150 a knife for the larger, main knives. I would also make sure if you are spending the cash to buy a forged knife over stamped. Much more durable and will retain an edge a lot longer.

One other small piece of advise, make sure you handle the knife before you buy it. Nothing worse than to have an extremely sharp knife that isn’t comfortable/fitting in your hand!

tstatz
    wis

Wustof with out a doubt!Watch the sales and you should not have to bite too big a bullet.The advice about several good knives vs. a bunch of lesser quality is spot on.Invest in wustofs sharpener and touch up your knife every use,its amazing how well they work!

whittsend

Good point on the forged knives.. I assume most knives over $50-$100 will all be forged (?). Better quality for sure.

Side question… What have you guys found to be the best sharpener??? I generally can get mine fairly sharp just using a steel, but occasionally I’ll try other devices… What works for you guys?

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

I know when I was looking there were a few different lines in the Wustof brand. The classic is what I went with, which are forged. But I beleive the step below, the “Gourmet” line, were still pretty pricy yet stamped. I will have to double check on that though.

I have always heard that the steel works best. Works great so far for me

Update: Looked into it and the gourmet line are forged as well….

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I used to sell the Cutco knives in college. They are quality knives that feel good in your hand. Unfortunately, they are spendy and the only ones I have are the ones from the “kit” I had to purchase when I demonstrated them.

I have been looking at getting new knives also and am curious what else is out there.

JD

Bassn Dan

I’d go to Amazon and check out the ratings and prices. A lot of good info and probably less expensive than Cabela’s.

If you want a great knife for bread, I’d suggest the Forschner Victorinox 10-1/4-Inch Wavy Bread Knife. It was America’s Test Kitchen’s top pick and it’s an AMAZING knife on crusty bread.

Dan

whittsend

I believe my Wusthof is the Classic line… 99% sure…

I paid about $100 for it a year or two ago. Thats roughly what most websites are selling them for when I just checked ($99 “on sale” of course… ) (The larger one in the photo)

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

We got some high end knives for our wedding with the Pampered Chef label and I’ve been very happy with them. I’m not sure who makes them for Pampered Chef.

Sully

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

Quote:

My fisrt choice would be cutco, and second choice would be chicago Cutlury. Have had good luck with both brandse]

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

well if you don’t have all the beans in the world to spend on knives..

run over to Sam’s club and pick up a set of Wolfgang Puck Knives…

they are very very nice.. and at Sam’s have a nice price. and… they hold an edge about a year..

although I really would like to have mine professionally sharpened. the last few years, I take them to Festival at Thanksgiving..

but they are extremely sharp out of the box… and hold an edge..

but do not put them in a dishwasher.. and they will be great..

just another opinion..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We’ve got a set of Wusthof Classics–the good stuff. Hand forged, etc. My chefs knife is one heavy SOB. God, they are awesome knives. I didn’t know I could love a set of knives so much. I actually enjoy chopping stuff!

gregy

I bought a Magic Chef 120 sharpening system for sharpening knives,it works mint.The only thing I found hard to sharpen were short knives in height with real thick backs.You can get your knives hair cutting sharp.Cost was abot 120.00 or so ,I think Cabelas carrys them.It has 3 different diamond stones on it.I bring it along when I`m going to a persons cabin and sharpen their knives.Most people don`t know how to sharpen them by hand very well,plus your wife could do it ,more outdoor time for you.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Welcome to IDO Jack

I have had a complete set of Chicago Cutlery for 20 years now. I love the wood handles and the steel is great to work with, very easy to keep sharp.

I can’t say anything on the other brands because there has never been a reason for me to buy anymore knives.

whittsend

With any of this stuff, I think the saying “you get what you pay for” is largely true… Shop around, find deals, and physically handle different brands to see what fits – but a $10 knife will generally be uncomparable to a $100 knife….

Mike

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.