lawn problems!!! fungus??

• superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

trying to take care of my moms yard and over the years i notice more n more i think they are called dollar spots?? some are circles and most are darker green and some kind of fungus!! mushrooms grow from em too–so how can I get rid of these spots?? she has 2 acreas of lawn–so no easy task!! any commemts?? thanks

mnbassin
    Mpls, MN

Try keeping the grass cut shorter. Moistior with cooler temps can destroy a lawn. Also if watering in going on do not do at night try for early morning. Hope this helps.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My grass ain’t real wet, but I get 7″ mushrooms that pop up in a day !!! I ain’t kidding, literally, they are not there when I leave for work at 6:45 and by 5:15 pm.. walla !!! Looks like the Smurfs moved in…. They are mostly in the shade…. wonder what they taste like

big G

jdlando4

Sounds like “fairy rings” and they are hard to control and there is really nothing available commercially to spray to get rid of them. Here are a couple links related.
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp950w.htm#ring

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/fairyring/fairyring.htm

The best way is to aerate the area very well by taking lots of cores out and then watering. Removing the cores will allow better infiltration of the water. The other option is to fertilize more and cosmetically cover them up. I have tried the core and water method and it did wonders. Good Luck

OohMiracle
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

This next early spring rent a power rake. I had the same problem the last few years but without the mushrooms. My lawn looks great this year.

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Yup, Gomer2 is exactly right! Fairy Rings are caused by dead or decaying matter within the soil. The turf utilizes it as food and that’s why you see darker green turf there and the mushrooms are growing in perfect soils, with perfect conditions. So, higher fertility rates will mask the color differences…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.