One of the scariest times in my life…

• Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

My wife and 2 kids (Ella, 5, and Luke, 4) were at a stop turning into our driveway when they were rear ended. I heard a crunch, while in my office, and wondered what it was. Opened the door outside to the sound of 2 kids screaming… It took a second or two to process the fact that it was my wife and kids that were rear ended!! I ran the 75 yards or so to the road to find both of the kids stuck in the back and scared, crying, and in pain to name a few… The bumper was pushed past the right rear tire, the rear window blew out, the radio and heat/air controls blew out of the dashboard, and, now looking back, my daughter could have touched the back of the car from her seat if she wanted to. I have no words to explain the feelings I went through (or them for that matter) in those 5 to 10 minutes. It took over an hour for my daughter to stop shaking.

The guy that hit them just wasn’t paying attention… I said a few things to him that, now, I probably regret saying. Very frustrated none the less. It was 25 mph speed limit at the edge of town that speeds up to 45 mph limit right at my driveway. I am thinking he wasn’t going 25… All three involved have injuries. My son has bounced back well. My daughter is still sore and tender in her neck. Angie had the worst of it but, over time, will be doing better. Good thing is they aren’t in a hospital or worse!!!!! Sad thing is I see, daily in my office, how car accidents affect a person for the rest of their life!!!

I don’t know what would have happened if they weren’t wearing seatbelts??!!?? Note to all…please buckle up!!!

I will attach a few pics when briank has time to resize them. Sorry…I am not a computer guy…(-:

Quick thanks to fireash for coming so quickly!!!

Ted

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Glad to hear that everybody is Okay

stuart
    Mn.

They will heal and all is good.Count your blessings and thank the guy in charge.

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

Glad to hear they are doing good. Sometimes people are just stupid .

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I can’t fathom that happening to my family, just can’t stomach even thinking about it. I’m glad they are ok, and that things didn’t turn out worse. Driving on the roads today just sends me thru the roof, I can’t believe that so many have no idea they are driving thousands of pounds of a deadly weapon and do so carelessly. My kids and wife are flying home from TX tomorrow, it will be a long day for me until touch down. Again, glad to hear your family is ok, many are not due to stupidity. Someone said on another post that stupid should hurt, I agree. Do not apologize for having words with the idiot that could have killed your family, be glad you didn’t have physical contact with said person, I probably would have.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Ted-Glad to hear your family is on the mend. From the sounds of it, things could have been a lot worse, but thanks to seat belts it wasn’t.
    As far as the pictures, we might have some at the station and Brent may be able to put them up for you as well.
    Hope the kids are not too traumatized from the accident.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Re: One of the scariest times in my life…

No Kidding!

I’m working on your photo’s now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

These photo’s kinda makes this father shake.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Man good to hear that overall they are ok, but I know what you mean my family is my world.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Holy chit! Wow! Amazing all are ok…..

medic242
    Sioux Falls, SD

Glad everyone is OK. I see it everyday as a full time Paramedic, I hope things get better in illinois now that the law is passed that it is illegal to text and drive. That seems to be a big cause of accidents like this one.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Bad story with an ok ending……the big guy was looking out for your family.
    Very happy to hear everyone will be ok Ted.

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

Wow…by the looks of things it might could have been much worse. I’m glad to hear that the family is well. Hope that the other driver was fined issued a citation. He couldn’t have been driving at the speed limit…take care of em..

Rich4Walleyes

I have seen many accidents and there is no way he was only going 25 mph. Glad to hear that all will be OK. Seatbelts do save lives.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

I said a few things to him that, now, I probably regret saying. Very frustrated none the less.

Give it a week. You won’t regret it all; he had em comin.

Hope everyone is well.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

That’s a Miracle folks!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Glad everybody is going to be ok.

Amazing how technology has changed things. That car collapsed and crumpled just as it should have. 20 years ago I’m afraid we might have had a different outcome.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Ted – Very sorry to hear about this senseless accident. By looking the photos, it looks like it could have been worse for your family. Hopefully the person responsible learned a very valuable lesson. We must all refrain from our daily distractions while driving (this includes the use of cell phones, eating, entering data into our GPS systems, changing CD’s in our radios, reading a map, putting on make up, having a pet dog on your lap etc…).

And lastly, thank you Ted for the reminder to hug our spouse and children and tell them that they are loved.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Thanks for the support guys!!

The civic we had did absorb A LOT of the shock from the accident. I am very happy with how technology has progressed in vehicles today!!!

Each day is getting better for them so that is nice to see.

Good point Brad…they really do mean the world to me!!!

Take care all…Ted

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Glad to hear everyone is OK Ted! My God that was a he!! of a wreck! As I have gotten older I have learned to slow down. I was always in a hurry when I was younger. As I have aged I have realized that all driving too fast does is gets you in trouble.
    Again, glad to hear everyone is OK.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Wow !!! Glad all are gonna be OK Ted

big G

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m so happy to hear everyone “ok” Ted!! I can’t imagine the terror that you went through.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.