Need a pole-barn!

• Jason_N
    St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA

I think I am finally ready to get a pole-barn. Anyone have any experience with any builders in the central MN area you could recommend, or warm me to stay away from? Please feel free to PM with any advice. Thanks for any and all help.

big_g
    Isle, MN

pm sent

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Latcham Farm Supply in Milaca. Ask for Paul.
    They have crews that build state wide.

Roofer
    Minnesota

Quote:

Serious question…….are they legal crews?

Never used them, but I’ve seen their bids. We have built stick framed buildings for less in the past. Haven’t checked their prices lately though.

BTW, I have a pole barn. It’s OK, but I have it finished. If you are finishing it I recommend a garage. If it’s cold storage, a pole barn is cheaper, but kind of an eye sore.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

Serious question…….are they legal crews?

Never used them, but I’ve seen their bids. We have built stick framed buildings for less in the past. Haven’t checked their prices lately though.

BTW, I have a pole barn. It’s OK, but I have it finished. If you are finishing it I recommend a garage. If it’s cold storage, a pole barn is cheaper, but kind of an eye sore.

Legal?? Whatever that means, ya they are legal. They have been around for 20 years and have put up most pole barn style buildings in the Princeton / Milaca and surrounding area.

I had one put up nearly 15 years ago and you can come check it out anytime.

Roofer
    Minnesota

They have crews state wide that have been the same employees for 20 years?

My guess is that they hire out sub crews. Pole barn constructors don’t have to be licensed like a residential contractor……..I think….not sure with the new laws. Was just wondering.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

If you are worried about appearance I would look at manufactured buildings. Five years ago I talked to Morton, Butler, and Lester reps. The building I wanted was going to be too much, I finally ended up with a 36 x 60 with 10′ side walls from Lester. It has a 10 x 14 porch and a 3′ wainscot on one end. With a 12 x 9 overhead garage door and two 3′ walk through doors. The cost was $22,000 erected.

I almost forgot the wood was all very good quality of yellow pine. It is designed to withstand 90 mph straight line winds. And has a 35 year warranty.

Roofer
    Minnesota

That is interesting…..

Did that include a floor?
    I see that they are code exempt. When asking a building official about buildings we have built, they say you have to have farm animals for the building to consider it code exempt. Otherwise it is a residential garage and codes are enforced.

90mph is the standard. It seems very inexpensive for a building that size. Just trying to figure out why…….

Roofer
    Minnesota

For the original poster……..

Save yourself some time and money by checking with your local building official for size requirements. Some areas have zoning stipulations on the size of building according to your area and size of your property.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

As far as code goes on a floor you can have green grass if you wish. Its in there as natural earth.
    22,000 seems cheap but judging by how many years ago that was steel was cheap. Sheets were 10-15 a piece a while back now they ar 75 at menards.
    I just finished a garage for a customer. He had a pole shed 30×40 with no floor (it burnt down). We built him a 30×46 with a floor. Doing the cost savings it was 1500 more to build the stick frame than the pole shed when compared apples to apples.

Richard V.

Quote:

That is interesting…..

Did that include a floor?
    I see that they are code exempt. When asking a building official about buildings we have built, they say you have to have farm animals for the building to consider it code exempt. Otherwise it is a residential garage and codes are enforced.

90mph is the standard. It seems very inexpensive for a building that size. Just trying to figure out why…….

The foundation, floor, dirt work, and drive were not included. The 22,k was just for the building. The Lester rep was one of my customers from when I had a computer business. I intended to move my business into the building but decided later to sell out. Now the buuilding is my shop.

Roofer
    Minnesota

That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Still a real good price for a building.

Richard V.

Here is a picture of it.

Roofer
    Minnesota

Nice!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.