A little help please

• andyb
    Farmington, MN

Try the wall hanger trick. I got close to trying once but didnt get to it so dont know how well it actually works. If you go fishing with her tell her that “out of all the fish floating down the river, your the only one I would hang on my wall” and then pop the big question.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m glad you can afford to do it right…when we were married, her wedding ring was only a citizens band.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Thanks for the advice guys. Thought I’d get some good stories that help. As much as I like – liked the picnic deal I might just have to do it at a nice little spot along the river up here. Not totally sure but we’ll see closer to it.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

I tried and tried to come up with some interesting way–just got too worked up and nervous. Finally, I just broke down and asked her at my apartment. Lame, but true!

Too funny! I asked my wife on my knees in our apartment in Bloomington. Least romantic place I can think of, but I’m still doomed for the rest of my days.

Congrats Life!!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

As others have said, ask the FIL for permission, pop the question in private and use the picnic to make your announcement (provided she says yes). Good luck.

PS. Its always a good idea to go down to the local watering hole and practice proposing to a some of the bar flies before doing it for real.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

My wife was afraid I’d propose to her while I was sitting on the toilet.

I don’t know where she got that idea from…

What can I say, Mrs. Koldfront knows me well.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m surprised at how many still say to ask the father. Seems like an outdated practice to me. My wife’s father passed away when she was young, but even if he were still around, I don’t think I would have found it necessary to ask him. Maybe it’s just me, though.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I’m surprised at how many still say to ask the father. Seems like an outdated practice to me. My wife’s father passed away when she was young, but even if he were still around, I don’t think I would have found it necessary to ask him. Maybe it’s just me, though.

I did not think it was necessarry, but I thought it was a nice sentiment. I don’t need my FIL permission, but if it were my little girl, asking permission may go a long way.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

My SIL asked, even though he didn’t “need to”. It was a very nice gesture of respect (remember what that is?) and was greatly appreciated. BTW…four years later he still treats my wife and me with respect, is a great husband and father…could not ask for more for my little girl. I’m a lucky man.

cdn
    West Central, MN

These guys have it right. Ask the father for his daughter’s hand in marriage out of respect. It goes a long ways…

I’m glad “life” is changing his plan of action. Find a nice quiet time alone and surprise her!

I had a great time planning my proposal to my wife of 9 years. I had bought a house, boat, toys, dog, etc.. and she never saw it coming as I played the “no money game” along. She really thought I was broke after my purchases, but I’ll tell ya I was broke after the ring purchase.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

so what if you ask the FFIL for permission to marry his daughter and he says NO. then what do you do? when i married my wife of 20 yrs. i asked her dad for his opinion not permission.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Farm,

Did you have to learn sasquach first?

I did not think it was necessarry, but I thought it was a nice sentiment. I don’t need my FIL permission, but if it were my little girl, asking permission may go a long way.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Please let me know if this changes when you have a little girl of your own. Daddies little girl is the most important thing in his life. (I have two.) If some little [censored] doesn’t think my opinion matters he’ll be in for a rude awakening. (Not at all saying your a little [censored].) IMO if the guy doesn’t have the rocks to aske me. Then he needs to look elswhere. Your situation is far more complicated. If he had been around my guess is that your opinion or actions would have changed.

Simplified: Always respect your elders and there family no matter how out of date the traditions.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Farm,

Did you have to learn sasquach first?

I was MUCH more nervous asking her Dad then I was asking her. I knew what she would say, but her Dad was a wild card. Heck, if I were him, I would not let me marry his daughter

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Its not something that you have to do. Neither was going to the door to pick her up for a date (when she was living with her parents). You will be amazed at how much respect you will gain by doing it. Not just from you father inlaw. Your mother inlaw and future wife will also appreciate it. Now if he would have said No, it wouldn’t have stopped me from asking, but I would have known where I stood with him.

I asked my FIL to meet me for lunch and a beer. I’m sure he know something was up.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I asked her tonight. And she said yes. I ended up grilling up some beef kabobs and sweet corn. Had a nice cake made up at the bakery. Then asked her after dinner before the dessert.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Congrats

big G

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey! Way to go! I was going to offer an idea but seeings how the objective is complete, not at all necessary. Glad everything came together for ya!

mr-special
    MPLS

Congrats bro,

Tell the Mrs as well for me.
    Hey you should have the wedding at Land of Memories Park in Kato. I’ll bring the bullies and beer.

Again Congrats bro

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.