A little help please

• life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Ok so I finally broke down and bought the little lady her engagement ring. Now I need some advice on how to pop the question. So far all I have is get down on one knee and ask her. I want to do it at our big family get together when our parents meet the first time. Any advice? How did you guys do it?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Do what makes you happy. Personally I’d not do a big get together too much pressure there. A nice quiet place is best in my opinion.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

We already had a BBQ planed it’s just her parents and my parents and our sibs: 3 on her sid 1 on mine. We’re both close with our family and she said one time she thought it would be neat it both the parents could see it. SO I thought…..

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

For me the more i tried to plan the harder it got on me, I dont know about you guys but my plans never work.IMO take her to a qiute place you both love and go a lot and just do it!Good luck and congrats ahead of time

Bob Bowman
    MN

did you ask her fathers permission?

That scored some big points for me

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

My wife told me that I should buy a ring before a boat….so I went and bought a ring….the same day, I put money down on a boat. The first time out I had her reach in the front compartment to pull out the trolling motor control…..where I had placed the jewelry box earlier….. Asked her to marry me right there. I figured if she said NO, she was going to need a life jacket! Obviously, she didn’t need the life jacket.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

My wife told me that I should buy a ring before a boat….so I went and bought a ring….the same day, I put money down on a boat. The first time out I had her reach in the front compartment to pull out the trolling motor control…..where I had placed the jewelry box earlier….. Asked her to marry me right there. I figured if she said NO, she was going to need a life jacket! Obviously, she didn’t need the life jacket.

That’s sbout what she said with me and my toys. As for asking her dad I’m making the call for the talk tonight being she’s working late.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

My lady and I were on vacation, sitting on the porch at my buddy’s cabin after everyone else had gone to bed. I meant to be all poetic and romantic about it, but what came out of my mouth was, “Whaddaya think, Marge? Should we get married?” She said yes, and we’re happily married today.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

AND HE LET YOU????

Or did you guys alope?

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

i dont know at all.. i dont have to worry about any of that for a long time!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

We already had a BBQ planed it’s just her parents and my parents and our sibs: 3 on her sid 1 on mine. We’re both close with our family and she said one time she thought it would be neat it both the parents could see it. SO I thought…..

Play a some sort of family game, like charades

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

AND HE LET YOU????

Or did you guys alope?

I think his answer would be different these days

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AND HE LET YOU????

Or did you guys alope?

I think his answer would be different these days

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

That sound like a good idea.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It has nothing to do with your family or her family. If it was me I would do it privatly between the two of you.

I took my FIL fishing one weekend and asked permission. What was he thinking

The next weekend I took her fishing. I told her when we were leaving I thought she would make the biggest catch of her life.

larry_haugh
    MN

I’ll echo the rest…. You should ask her prior to the family get together then you all can celebrate. This is your moments not the families.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I told her when we were leaving I thought she would make the biggest catch of her life.

Your lucky she did not throw you back

I do agree though that the moment should be just yours and hers, but to each their own.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

How about on the Jumbotron at the Metrodome in front of 30,000 or 40,000 of your closest friends?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

How about on the Jumbotron at the Metrodome in front of 30,000 or 40,000 of your closest friends?

Another one, take her to a wolves game. They need something to put up on the screen.
    You can get seats for 5 bucks, heck they might even take fish bucks just to fill some seats

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just post the question on Ido….on second thought, you might get more than one answer!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, you GUYS might think it more romantic, but the ladies might differ. OK, never mind. The girlfriend said do it when you are alone.

By the way, congrats! When is the bachelor party/fishing trip?

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Well I’m the wrong person to ask because at one point I was on plan number 8. She kept accidentally putting a stop to the other plans, by saying things like. “So and So just got engaged and they did _____ I would hate that.”

Long story short a BUNCH of people were in town, and I was out of time so I popped the question while she was in the shower. ( I figured her options were limited. Still not sure if she was crying because of joy, or shampoo in the eyes, but that is besides the point.

If she thinks the family being there would be great there you go.freeze the ring in an ice cube, and make the lucky lady a drink!

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

I proposed in the basement of the Terry Redlin art museum while on a little getaway. One year and a day later we’re still married

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I tried and tried to come up with some interesting way–just got too worked up and nervous. Finally, I just broke down and asked her at my apartment. Lame, but true!

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

My son planned a hot-air balloon ride – high wind kept it grounded. Came up with an alternate plan – that got stymied also. Plan 3 – took her someplace new and asked her. SUCCESS. They’re married now and happy I hope.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If there is a certain place that means a lot to her, take her there and ask her. Someplace a little out of the ordinary is always a good bet, and then you can go back there on special occasions and remember it. I wouldn’t do it in a restaurant, at a sporting event, or in front of family. It should be something special for just the two of you. You can always still celebrate with your families after, but I would ask the question in private.

big_g
    Isle, MN

So your saying on the jumbotron at the dome is out of the question ???? Best advice I can give, just do it… it really doesn’t matter, you 2 will always remember it Congrats & good luck

big G

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, I hope asking my girlfriends thoughts on this hasn’t planted any seeds…

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

As others have said, get permission from the father, then ask her in private. Celebrate it with the family later.

Before we got married, my wife really liked those precious moments figurines. I bought one that had the boy with a rose in hand on bended knee before the girl. I put the ring on the rose and gave her the figurine as a gift. She opened the box and saw the diamond ring on the little rose. She knew what to do from there. I was told I did pretty good on that one.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

“Honey! Look what I caught today!” (If she doesn’t look, you still have time to back out.)
    Her, “lets go out to eat at blah blah bla h h..@%$#@$”
    “Sure darling, right after I clean these huge fish.”
    Change scene to newspaper, fillets, garbage can, etc.
    On the last fish “Honey! You won’t believe what this fish ate!”

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.