Outboard Motor Help

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Yesterday it looks like my 25 horse merc bit the big one. Without going into details let’s just say she got fried. It looks like I’m in the market for a new motor.

I run a plain 16 foot flat bottom with a casting deck and trolling motor up front. I was thinking about maybe increasing power to a 30 to 40 horsepower motor. Looking for suggestions or even warnings about some of the products out there. The motor has to be a short shaft too. Thanks in advance for any help.

jerry b
    western WI

If you didn’t have one, give 4 strokes a serious looking over. I have a Suzuki and a Yammi. Both are excellent trouble free units. They both have whisper quiet idle and I’m still amazed at being able to carry on a conversation at speed jerr

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Agree with Jerr.

I have a Honda and Suzuki on my tin boats. Both work great but the Suzuki seems a little more cold blooded.

Honda seems like is was broken in the day I first started it.

Change the Oil and run straight gas. No more stinky two stroke (Although there is something about the stench of two stroke and a cup of coffee as you roar off into the Canadian Shield in the Spring time)

The Dog.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Thanks for the help. So far two out of the three marinas I have checked don’t even have a short shaft in my HP range. I’ve always had either OMC products or Mercury products before but I may have to look at Honda and Suzuki.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.