Little Bullheads for Bait- Cat Guys Help

• Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I have been doing some experimenting over the past two years with different bait types for Bass and Walleye.

Last summer, I was able to pull a school of small bullhead from a local golf course pond and took them out to Mille Lacs, Minnetonka and Pelican for an experiment.

I have to tell you these things are big fish bait!!!!

Do you have any outlets for buying them? Does anyone make a good plastic bullhead that would resemble a 5 inch bullhead – that works?

Just curious as to what the diehard CAT guys run into when they use these and where they get them

The Dog

Hounddog1953

I think what you did might have been illegal. Bullheads are a technically a gamefish with a limit of 100 and you can not use gamefish for bait. The DNR would probably frown on you moving the fish from one body of water to another. I would check with them before you do it again. You will not find bullheads in any baitshop.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ron, you are correct and incorrect at the same time!

In MN, bullheads under 7 inches are considered minnows. Each licensed angler is allow 244 in possession AND allowed to transport them live. The above is not true with bullies over 7 inches.

*Side note: We’ve been working with the DNR to include up to 10 inch bullheads and hope to have this implemented in 2010.

In MN, the only bait shop I know of that carries bullheads would be Bob Moore at Moores Bait and Tackle on Lynndale in Mpls. He’s been selling bullheads for a few years now to bass, walleye, muskie anglers not to mention the catfish guys.

I caught my personal best walleye 30.5 inch and just over 12 pounds on a 6+ in bully just a few weeks ago. They are an amazing bait and they get SLAMED when hit…at least by the walleyes and catfish.

In fact every walleye in my photo gallery s have fallen to the bullhead trick!

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Like Brian said walleyes don’t mind them at all . I have gotten a few oops while cattin. Stop into Moore’s and Bob will take care of ya

bts
    Centuria, Wi.

If you can’t get the real deal you might try Baby Blue Eyes by Gitzit. They come in a variety of colors with one jighead and three bodies per pack. These baits are VERY lifelike.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

and took them out to Mille Lacs, Minnetonka

How did the bullies work Mille Lacs and Tonka ? I was going to bring some to Mille last weekend

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

So, what color bullheads are you using, according to this website Wisc fish ID we have 3 diff. colors.

I am asking this because I have been tying some hair jigs and it looks like it would be easy to imitate with a hair jig.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t use Yellow Bullies.

…but then I don’t know everyone.

I just received a PM that reminded me of the double secret catfishermans code.

Bullhead do not work for anything. They have venom in their feelers and bite. No reason to try bullheads for bait. They just don’t work.

whittsend

Any special rigging for fishing bullheads? Standard single circle or octopus type hook, or something different?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Uh oh Moore’s bait better stock up I have a feeling there is going to be some people looking for bullheads

Hounddog1953

It would be totally legal then to catch a small bullhead and use it for bait. I have gotten bullheads by mistake in other minnows too.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

Bullhead do not work for anything.

Thanks for clarifying that…(I need to stock up).

I’ve always wondered if they would work for Pike and Muskie fishing instead of using a big sucker minnow under a bobber. Bullheads are much more hardy and easier to keep alive than suckers. Just wondering if anyone tried it?

Grouse_Dog

The Bullheads worked great on all three lakes. I rigged them with a 2/0 circle hook and floss with a harness ( saltwater rig ) and allowed them to free swim. The strikes were vicious!!!

The best outing I had was on Lake Harriet with a kite rig and the same rigging technique. The little bully flopping on the surface was too much for 3 muskies and 10 bass to handle. All explosive strikes!!!

I appreciate the clarification and info from the cat guys.

The Dog

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So I have to ask…how did the ski’s taste?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

So I have to ask…how did the ski’s taste?

A lot like week old flathead.

Grouse_Dog

What is the best way to eat Ski?
    I love to boil them in 7 UP. Tastes alot like lobster.

the 15 – 20 lb fish taste the best!!!

The Dog

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hah! That’s funny GDog! I had lobster the other night and I swear it tasted like ski!

Ps Tuck…remind me, I owe you one to the kidney.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Here is your reminder, but hit him in the gut, much easier target.. And make sure i’m around to see it!

Jami

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here I thought you were his friend Jami?!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

Here is your reminder, but hit him in the gut, much easier target.. And make sure i’m around to see it!

Jami

As long it is the right kidney.

Ritter…no input from the peanut gallery!

Grouse_Dog

WOW!!!!

You were a good looking guy. Not often a chick magnet leaves the ladies for the kitties!!!!

The Dog

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

WOW!!!!

You were a good looking guy. Not often a chick magnet leaves the ladies for the kitties!!!!

The Dog

Going out on a limb here…and it is a pretty safe bet…that it was the other way around..

I’m sure the FW would say “Only the Kitties would have ’em!”

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.